These travel alone quotes express all the joys and advantages of solo travel. While taking a trip with your friends or family can be fun, traveling alone offers its own perks: planning your own schedule, visiting all of the places you’re interested in, and, most importantly, getting to know yourself better.
|Preparing for your next adventure? Don’t miss out on the best discounts for travel. Including discounts on the best travel insurance of 2023.|
Whether you’re looking for travel inspiration or a way to sum up your trip, this collection of traveling alone quotes has something for every solo traveler, including short solo travel quotes, solo female travel quotes, and solo travel funny quotes.
- Short quotes on traveling alone
- Solo travel funny quotes
- Inspirational solo travelling quotes
- Solo female travel quotes
Short quotes on traveling alone
These short and sweet solo trip quotes are just what you need for a quick burst of inspiration.
1. “When the traveler goes alone he gets acquainted by himself.” – Liberty Hyde Bailey
This solo journey quote sums up one of the biggest advantages of traveling alone: getting to know yourself better!
2. “I wondered why it was that places are so much lovelier when one is alone.” – Daphne du Maurier
While traveling with others can be quite enjoyable, solo travel can allow you to really appreciate the places you visit and the experiences you have, as this love to travel alone quote reminds us.
3. “Adventure can be an end in itself. Self-discovery is the secret ingredient.” – Grace Lichtenstein
As this vacation alone quote suggests, finding out more about yourself is one of the most important parts of going on an adventure. That’s why traveling alone can be so rewarding.
4. “Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone.” – Anonymous
As this solo trip quote points out, it can be hard to find a compatible travel partner. It’s better to plan an amazing trip and travel alone than to be stuck with someone you don’t mesh well with.
5. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
This traveling solo quote reminds us to live life to the fullest and make every day an adventure if we can.
6. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world.” – Freya Stark
I love how this quote about traveling alone puts a positive spin on being alone in an unfamiliar place, something many people might find scary or intimidating.
7. “Traveling alone makes it easier to be yourself.” – Charles Bukowski
When you’re a solo traveler, there’s no one you have to show off to or change your personality for. Being alone means you can just be yourself.
8. “A nomad I will remain for life, in love with distant and uncharted places.” – Isabelle Eberhardt
This lonely traveller quote is a poetic way of expressing a lifetime commitment to travel and adventure. The nomadic lifestyle isn’t for everyone, but those who love it embrace it wholeheartedly.
9. “Half the fun of travel is the aesthetic of lostness.” – Ray Bradbury
If you’re a solo traveler who gets lost often, this traveling by yourself quote is the one for you! Getting lost doesn’t have to be a bad thing; it can lead to even more fun and exciting adventures.
10. “If you are waiting for someone to travel with you, you may end up waiting a lifetime.” – Unknown
This short solo travel quote sums up one of the most basic reasons for traveling alone: there’s no need to navigate scheduling conflicts! Traveling solo means you can start your trip tomorrow if you want to.
11. “To travel is worth any cost or sacrifice.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
This solo adventure quote works for just about any person who loves traveling. If you love to travel as much as we do, then you’ll probably agree that traveling is an absolutely priceless experience.
12. “The inner journey of travel is intensified by solitude.” – Paul Theroux
This solo journey quote shows that any trip involves an internal journey as much as a physical one. Being a solo traveler will, of course, make that internal journey more intense.
13. “I think one travels more usefully when they travel alone, because they reflect more.” – Thomas Jefferson
I love this vacation alone quote because I think it’s so accurate: traveling alone does give you, by necessity, the chance to be more introspective and think about your trip.
14. “You must go on adventures alone to find out where you belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
As this solo travel quote suggests, self-discovery is a significant part of traveling alone.
15. “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.” – John Mayer
This lonely traveler quote shows that solo travel may be intimidating, but it could also turn out to be one of the best things you ever do. Why not give it a chance and see how you like it?
Solo travel funny quotes
As these funny solo travel quotes show, there’s humor to be found in just about every situation, including traveling alone.
16. “I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine.” – Caskie Stinnett
This witty solo female travel quote is perfect for all the solo travelers just trying to satisfy their wanderlust.
17. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
This famous quote about traveling alone captures the excitement and anticipation of planning where to go next.
18. “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell
No matter how far you travel, you’ll always end up encountering yourself. Hopefully, you’re happy with the self you meet!
19. “I’ve been to almost as many places as my luggage.” – Bob Hope
As this funny quote about traveling alone points out, your luggage ends up traveling to quite a few places with you. If you check your bags, they’ll even go to places you haven’t been!
20. “A hotel room all to myself is my idea of a good time.” – Chelsea Handler
Inspirational solo travelling quotes
The best solo travel quotes will help you develop an appreciation for traveling alone and maybe even inspire you to start planning your next adventure. Check out these inspirational quotes about traveling alone for even more trip-planning motivation.
21. “Not I, nor anyone else, can travel that road for you. You must travel it for yourself.” – Walt Whitman
This traveling alone quote is a good reminder that there are some journeys we just have to take by ourselves. Whether you take this quote literally and plan a solo trip, or as a metaphor about living life, these are undeniably words of wisdom.
22. “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.” – Wendell Berry
This solo traveller quote points out that our journey of discovering the world is a personal one. Fortunately, the more we discover about the world, the less we feel alone.
23. “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready, and it may be a long time before they get off.” – Henry David Thoreau
One huge benefit of traveling alone is that the only person whose schedule you have to worry about is yours! Take advantage of this freedom so you can go on your trip sooner rather than later.
24. “I’m never happier than when I’m alone in a foreign city; it is as if I had become invisible.” – Storm Jameson
As this vacation alone quote suggests, if you enjoy getting lost in the crowd, then traveling alone is a great option.
25. “There are some places in life where you can only go alone. Embrace the beauty of your solo journey.” – Mandy Hale
This solo trip quote reminds us that sometimes solitude is a necessity. Make the most of your time alone and try to appreciate the advantages of solo travel.
26. “I have traveled many roads in my life. Some were imbued with pain and I needed to avert my gaze. Others were so beautiful that I would have remained there forever. But always, at some point in these routes, I reached a place where I encountered myself.” – Pablo Holmberg
This traveling alone quote offers a beautiful metaphor for thinking about life. Every road we travel, whether literal or symbolic, offers some way of finding out more about ourselves.
27. “When you’re traveling with someone else, you share each discovery, but when you are alone, you have to carry each experience with you like a secret, something you have to write on your heart, because there’s no other way to preserve it.” – Shauna Niequist
This solo adventure quote provides a lovely way of looking at the memories you make when you travel alone.
28. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
This famous quote about traveling alone is a fantastic reminder that we should try to live life with no regrets. Trying to fulfill as many of our dreams as possible can help ensure that we don’t end up disappointed by what we haven’t done.
29. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s OK. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
I love this quote for traveling alone by the legendary Anthony Bourdain. It sums up the beauty and power of travel so perfectly.
30. “Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.” – Henry Rollins
As this travel solo quote points out, traveling alone means you’re not distracted by other people, so you can focus on and truly enjoy the beauty around you.
31. “It seemed an advantage to be traveling alone. Our responses to the world are crucially molded by whom we are with, we temper our curiosity to fit in with the expectations of others.” – Alain de Botton
As this traveling by yourself quote shows, when we travel with other people, we can be influenced by their opinions and impressions of the places we go. On the other hand, when we travel alone, we have the chance to see a place on our own terms.
32. “The goal of my life is to tie adventure to my feet, stock memories in my pocket, hold imagination in my palms like fairy dust and sprinkle it on my tales.” – Mitali Meelan
What’s the use of going on an adventure if you don’t have any good memories and stories to bring back with you? As this traveling alone quote reminds us, adventures can live on forever in our memories.
33. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
This very famous quote about traveling alone is so popular because a book is such an apt metaphor for explaining why traveling is so important.
34. “Some journeys can only be traveled alone!” – Ken Poirot
This traveling solo quote cuts right to the chase: sometimes traveling alone really is best!
35. “The treasured vistas of our solo journeys are not always about the landscape.” – Gina Greenlee
Solo female travel quotes
Solo female travelers often have more to deal with and think about than other travelers, which can make traveling alone seem scary and even dangerous. If you’ve been thinking about traveling alone as a woman, these strong woman travel alone quotes will definitely inspire you to live out your dreams.
36. “Traveling alone doesn’t always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” – Jacqueline Boone
This solo traveling quote makes a great point that traveling alone can actually be a good way to make new friends. Being by yourself means you’ll seek out new connections and get to meet people from all over the world.
37. “Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without traveling.” – Roman Payne
This traveling alone as a woman quote points out that history’s most famous women have never been the ones who stayed at home and dreamed without putting those dreams into action.
38. “Solo travel not only pushes you out of your comfort zone; it also pushes you out of the zone of others’ expectations.” – Suzy Strutner
As this solo travel quote suggests, traveling alone allows you to find freedom from others’ expectations and, instead, live life on your own terms.
39. “Good girls go to heaven; bad girls go everywhere.” – Mae West
This witty quote about solo female travel makes the perfect caption for photos of a trip around the world.
40. “My spirit gets nourished in faraway places. Sometimes I wonder if it’s a biological need, perhaps a biological flaw, that compels me to seek the excitement and challenge that comes of being in a place where nobody knows me.” – Rita Golden Gelman
This quote for traveling alone will probably speak to all of the solo travelers out there who are full of wanderlust, especially since it expresses the spiritual fulfillment that can come from exploring far and wide.
41. “You are the one that possesses the keys to your being. You carry the passport to your own happiness.” – Diane von Furstenberg
I love this strong woman travel alone quote because it emphasizes how responsible you are for your own happiness. Ultimately, you’re the one who knows yourself best, so why not take yourself where you’re happiest?
42. “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.” – Albert Einstein
This solo female traveler quote points out that going off the beaten path can be a good thing. Take a risk and dare to go where no one else has ever gone.
43. “As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world.” – Virginia Woolf
This female solo travel quote is a lovely way of saying that solo female travelers can find a home just about anywhere in the world.
44. “I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
Travel involves a lot of beautiful, magical experiences, some of which are so profound that they change our lives forever. These experiences could include everything from seeing the moon or watching the sun rise to looking out over a spectacular landscape.
45. “Loving life is easy when you are abroad. Where no one knows you and you hold your life in your hands all alone, you are more master of yourself than at any other time.” – Hannah Arendt
As this solo adventure quote suggests, being alone in a foreign country allows you to escape every part of your everyday life and make the most out of living.
46. “I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.” – Mary Louise Alcott
It can be tempting to panic when something goes wrong while you’re traveling. However, as this vacation alone quote shows, mistakes and mishaps can be the best way to learn and become even more confident.
47. “I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads. Not knowing where I’m going is what inspires me to travel it.” – Rosalia de Castro
The unknown can often be frightening, but this solo journey quote expresses the excitement and anticipation that can also come with not knowing what will happen next. In other words, sit back and enjoy the ride!
48. “One of the great things about travel is you find out how many good, kind people there are.” – Edith Wharton
This travelling alone quote really speaks to me because, like Edith Wharton, I think there are so many amazing people you can meet all over the world. Fortunately, solo travel is the perfect opportunity to meet at least a few of them.
49. “I am of course lost in this journey I’m on, but I do remain confident, though I am lost it will be a great adventure, this adventure will surpass my wildest imagination. So call me a fool, but I’m happy to be lost.” – Micheline Jean Louis
As this lonely traveler quote points out, there can be beauty and excitement in getting lost. It’s all part of the adventure!
50. “The more I travelled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends.” – Shirley MacLaine
This lovely quote about traveling alone has a great message: that we have so much in common with our fellow humans around the world. Even if we come from different backgrounds or countries, there will always be something we can share.
I hope these solo trip quotes sparked your wanderlust and inspired you to embark on a solo adventure! They’re also a great way to reflect on any past trips you’ve had.
Let me know in the comments which quote is your favorite (or maybe you have more than one!). If you need even more inspiration, check out these top 100 travel quotes.
Happy solo traveling!