If you’re looking for the best travel insurance for the USA, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve already covered the best travel insurance companies in 2019, so check that out if you’re curious. That article will also answer any questions you might have about what travel insurance is, if you should buy it, and what coverages do you need to look for.
However, in this article, we will cover the best travel medical insurance for the USA; because if there’s a country where having travel insurance is crucial, it’s the USA. Let’s get into it!
Best travel insurance companies for the USA
In summary, here are the top travel insurance companies for the USA:
- Best travel insurance for travelers visiting the USA: Insuremytrip & World Nomads
- Best USA health insurance for foreigners: IMG Global & Tokio Marine HCC
- Best travel insurance for US citizens visiting the USA: IMG Global
- Best visitors insurance for relatives visiting the USA: Insuremytrip & World Nomads
- Best medical insurance for international students in the USA: IMG Global & Tokio Marine HCC
- Best U.S. work visa health insurance: Tokio Marine HCC
Before we get into the companies’ plans and coverage, below is a quick review of the four companies we’ll be talking about.
Insuremytrip is an insurance comparator that selects the best travel insurance quote for the USA from one of its 30+ providers.
They work with top insurance companies like AXA, Allianz, AIG, Generali, Tokio Marine, IMG, etc. and have a service called “Anytime Advocates,” which provides support if you think that your claim has been unfairly denied, making things a lot easier for you.
We gave them a chance in the last year and the support was great. This is definitely one of the best travel insurance companies for the USA.
World Nomads is probably one of our favorite travel insurance companies. They have been around for a long time, are endorsed by National Geographic Traveler magazine, and provide a wide range of USA travel insurance coverage. I have been using them for years and experienced nothing but great service.
Their USA travel insurance plans are incredibly comprehensive and cover everything from trip delays and medical expenses to extreme sports.
IMG Global is a world-renowned insurance company that has offered insurance plans for the USA for over 20 years. The company is well known for its excellent U.S. health insurance and is a great choice for expats and people who live/work internationally.
If you have a temporary student visa or are visiting the USA for a long period, their USA travel insurance plans will probably be the best option for you.
Tokio Marine HCC offers a variety of specialty insurance, including both short-term domestic and international health insurance.
Moreover, their USA medical insurance is among the best-rated insurance online. They focus on helping many different types of travelers, including students studying abroad and non-Americans living outside their country who need health insurance.
Travel Insurance Plans for the USA
The best USA travel insurance plan will depend on the reasons for your trip. Are you visiting for just a couple of weeks? Are you coming to study or work? We’ll review all the options to help you to choose the best USA travel insurance for you:
- Travel insurance for travelers visiting the USA
- USA health insurance for foreigners
- Travel insurance for U.S. citizens visiting the USA
- Visitors insurance for relatives visiting the USA
- Medical insurance for international students in the USA
- U.S. work visa health insurance
Travel insurance for Travelers visiting the USA
You may be asking yourself: why should I buy travel insurance for my next trip to the USA?
First of all, travel insurance offers you financial protection if anything unexpected happens while you’re jaunting around the USA. This could be anything from losing your luggage to experiencing a flight delay or even a medical emergency.
Secondly, and most importantly, U.S. medical services are expensive. If you experience a medical emergency during your trip, you could be stuck shelling out thousands of dollars for the care you receive. Avoid the danger of paying for medical expenses out of pocket by purchasing travel insurance for USA that includes medical coverage.
Insuremytrip and World Nomads are the best travel insurance for travelers visiting the USA. They cover a very high level of medical expenses, especially compared to other providers, which is what makes them so great as travel insurance for travelers visiting the USA. Of course, they also include the other basics of travel insurance, such as protection for baggage incidents and travel disruptions.
Insuremytrip travel insurance plan
Insuremytrip plans vary in each search since they choose the best travel insurance for the USA in real time, using their 30+ providers. We recommend you check out their plans available now. Remember that if you buy through their platform instead from the original provider, you’ll get the Anytime Advocates service that can help you deal with any future claims.
World Nomads travel insurance plan
World Nomads has two different plans:
- World Nomads Standard Plan: This plan has got you covered on all the basics of travel insurance for the USA, including emergency medical expenses, out-of-pocket hospital fees, trip cancellation, trip curtailment, personal accident, baggage loss/theft, etc. They also provide 24/7 emergency assistance.
- World Nomads Explorer Plan: This plan covers everything in the Standard Plan, but up to higher amounts. Depending on your home country, this plan also includes coverage for incidents and situations not covered in the Standard Plan. For instance, if your home country is the U.K., your Explorer Plan covers travel delay, missed connection, natural catastrophe, and money loss, all of which are not included in the Standard Plan.
USA health insurance for foreigners
This category is for foreigners who are going to visit the USA and need health insurance but don’t want travel insurance for USA (i.e., coverage for baggage loss, cancellation, medical evacuation, etc.). Whether you’re a student, worker, volunteer, or long-term traveler, you will probably want to buy health insurance for the USA. As we mentioned above, American medical services and healthcare can be incredibly expensive, so buying health insurance is the best way to avoid paying those fees out of your own pocket.
It can be difficult for foreigners to obtain U.S. health insurance because most American insurance companies require you to be a U.S. resident for 6 to 12 months before you can purchase insurance from them. That’s why it’s so helpful to purchase your U.S. health insurance through international insurance companies.
IMG Global and Tokio Marine HCC have the best USA health insurance for foreigners because they both offer comprehensive coverage, where benefits are more extensive, and, instead of only covering a fixed amount per benefit, they cover a percentage, so their insurance ends up being cheaper in the long run.
For instance, say your limited coverage plan covers $200 worth of hospital bills, while your friend’s comprehensive coverage plan covers 80% of their hospital bills. If you both were hospitalized and incurred bills of $2,000, your friend would only have to pay $400, while you would be stuck paying $1,800.
IMG Global health insurance plans
IMG Global has two different plans suitable for USA health insurance for foreigners:
- Patriot America: This plan covers a long list of medical expenses, including physician’s visits, hospitalization, lab work, surgery, physical therapy, and emergency services. Coverage can be anywhere from a minimum of 5 to 365 days.
- Patriot America Plus: This plan includes everything in the Patriot America Plan, plus it covers the acute onset of pre-existing conditions in people under the age of 70.
Tokio Marine health insurance plans
On the other hand, Tokio Marine HCC has its Atlas America plan. This plan covers pretty much the same medical expenses that the Patriot America plans include, with a few differences.
One difference is that not only does Atlas America cover the acute onset of pre-existing conditions in people under the age of 70, like the Patriot America Plus plan, but it also covers the acute onset of pre-existing conditions in people from the ages of 70-79, albeit to a lower amount.
Overall, Atlas America offers more coverage for people from ages 70-79, since it provides a maximum of $250,000 worth of coverage, compared to both Patriot America plans’ $50,000.
While Patriot America and Atlas America are pretty similar in terms of coverage, Atlas America is definitely a better choice if you are between the ages of 70 and 79.
Travel insurance for US citizens visiting the USA
If you’re a U.S. citizen living or working abroad, you may be looking for short-term travel insurance to cover you while you return to the U.S. It can be complicated for U.S. citizens to get travel insurance for the USA. While many insurance companies are great about providing coverage for U.S. citizens traveling abroad, very few of them actually offer travel insurance for US citizens traveling to the USA.
Moreover, American insurance companies will usually want you to have lived in the USA for a certain number of months before they will offer you insurance coverage. U.S. citizens returning to the USA normally have to have lived in the U.S. for at least 3-6 months to be eligible for coverage from American insurance companies.
That’s why IMG Global offers the best travel insurance for US citizens visiting the USA. As we mentioned above in our review of the company, they are well known as a great choice for American expats. Their two Patriot America plans not only to offer the extensive medical coverage we touched on above but also include all the US travel insurance basics.
IMG Global health insurance plan for the USA
To recap, IMG Global offers two different plans for U.S. travel insurance for U.S. citizens:
- Patriot America: This plan includes extensive medical coverage. However, in terms of travel insurance for the USA, it also covers many situations, such as accidental death, emergency medical evacuation, trip interruption, lost luggage, and natural disaster.
- Patriot America Plus: This plan covers everything that the Patriot America plan includes, plus, as we stated above, it covers the acute onset of pre-existing conditions in people under the age of 70.
Visitors insurance for relatives visiting the USA
Are you going to visit family in the USA? Do you want the security of medical coverage and personal protection? If you said “yes”, then U.S. visitors insurance is for you!
As we’ve stated time and again, U.S. healthcare is wildly expensive, so it’s worth getting insurance for that reason alone. Plus, you can rest assured that you and your belongings will be safe and that your trip won’t be ruined if anything unexpected happens.
Insuremytrip travel insurance plan
Insuremytrip is a great option for relatives visiting the USA. Remember that buying the policy through them instead of the actual provider gets you the Anytime Advocates service that will help you deal with insurance claims.
The plans available vary because they always search for the best travel insurance for the USA in real time. So, our best advice is to check the plans by yourself.
World Nomads travel insurance plan
World Nomads offers the best visitors insurance for relatives visiting the USA. Their plans are all-inclusive, and they cover a very high level of medical expenses compared to other insurance providers. If you experience a sudden fall or find that you need emergency medical treatment, don’t worry – you’re covered!
Like we said before, World Nomads provides two different plans for U.S. visitors insurance:
- World Nomads Standard Plan: This plan covers the classic basics of travel insurance for USA.
- World Nomad Explorer Plan: This plan covers everything the Standard Plan does, but up to higher amounts plus some other expenses.
Medical insurance for international students in the USA
Studying abroad is exciting, but it can also be overwhelming, especially if you’re not prepared. Studying in the U.S. is a life-changing experience, but if you suddenly fall ill and have to pay all your medical expenses, your experience might not seem quite as amazing.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: U.S. healthcare is expensive. Save yourself the stress of dealing with medical expenses and get medical insurance before you begin your studies in the U.S.
Tokio Marine HCC and IMG Global provide the best medical insurance for international students in the USA. They offer comprehensive coverage and have been consistently top-rated in reviews across various insurance websites.
IMG Global insurance plan for students in the USA
The company IMG Global offers three specific medical insurance plans for international students in the USA:
- Patriot Exchange Program: This plan is specifically designed for individuals who are studying abroad in the U.S, and can also cover students’ spouses and children. The best part is that this plan is aimed specifically at meeting U.S. J1 and J2 visa requirements. This plan covers many medical expenses, including hospital room and board, physician visits, prescriptions, urgent care, emergency room visits, and more.
- Student Health Advantage: This plan is also designed for students studying abroad in the U.S. and also meets J1 visa requirements. It also covers ambulance service, mental health, sports, and acute onset of pre-existing medical conditions, although this pre-existing condition coverage is only available after a twelve-month wait period.
- Student Health Advantage Platinum: This plan includes all the elements of the standard Health Advantage plan, plus coverage for maternity and newborn care.
Tokio Marine insurance plan for students in the USA
Tokio Marine HCC offers StudentSecure Insurance by HCCMIS, which has four different levels of coverage:
- StudentSecure Elite: This plan offers the highest amount of coverage with the lowest deductibles. Like all four plans, this meets U.S. J1 visa requirements. It offers a 6-month waiting period for pre-existing condition coverage. Moreover, it is the only plan that covers vaccinations and Personal Liability.
- StudentSecure Select: This plan covers most of the same things as the Elite plan but to a lower amount. It also meets J1 visa requirements and offers a 6-month waiting period for pre-existing condition coverage, although, like all 4 plans, it covers the acute onset of a pre-existing condition.
- StudentSecure Budget: This plan covers much the same things as the Select plan, but to a lower amount and with a few differences. This plan offers a 12-month waiting period for pre-existing condition coverage. Also, it does not cover Accidental Death, Personal Liability, or an Optional Crisis Response Rider.
- StudentSecure Smart: This plan is the lowest cost plan but has the highest deductibles. It also has the lowest benefits. It does not offer any pre-existing condition, maternity care, newborn care, sports, or terrorism coverage, all of which are covered under the other three plans.
Here is a chart comparing some of the differences in the four levels of coverage:
U.S. work visa health insurance
You just got a job in the U.S. Congrats! So what’s next? It can be difficult for foreigners to obtain health insurance from American insurance companies. Most require you to have resided in the U.S. for 6 to 12 months in order to be able to purchase insurance from them.
Moreover, you will definitely not want to be without coverage for that long, since, as we’ve said, it can be incredibly expensive to pay U.S. healthcare and medical expenses out of your own pocket.
Never fear! Tokio Marine HCC is here to save the day with its Atlas America Work Visa Health Insurance, which is designed for anyone with a temporary work visa for the USA (B1, H2-A, H2-B, L1, etc.). This plan covers all the things you’d expect your health insurance to cover, such as Hospital Room and Board, Local Ambulance Service, Emergency Medical Evacuation, Intensive Care, and Urgent Care. It offers coverage for the acute onset of pre-existing conditions, even up to patients who are 70-79 years of age.
Compare Travel Insurance Quotes for the USA
It can be overwhelming and exhausting trying to compare US travel insurance companies’ coverage and quotes, so we’ve compiled a handy little chart below to help make thing easier for you.
We didn’t include Insuremytrip on the chart since it shows different providers’ options. However, I recommend you check with them before you purchase any insurance. Sometimes they have the same policy at a lower price, even including their service Anytime Advocates to help you if you need to file a claim.
For the purposes of obtaining a quote, I put in the following information: a month-long trip to the U.S. for a 24-year-old residing in the U.K. I also used one example plan per each of our six categories of traveler, usually the most standard plan, unless the plan was a repeat.
Travel Medical Expenses
Compare travel Insurance for the USA
Travelers visiting USA
U.S. Health Insurance for Foreigners
U.S. Citizens Visiting USA
Relatives Visiting USA
International Students in the USA
International workers in the USA
How Much does travel insurance for the USA cost?
Let’s go deeper into each of the categories. In this section, we’re going to calculate the price for the travel insurance plans for the USA mentioned. Insuremytrip is not included in any section since it shows the best option in real time. Sometimes they provide the same policy at a lower cost, so I recommend checking with them before you purchase any travel insurance for the USA.
Travel insurance for Travelers visiting the USA Cost
The price of both the World Nomads Standard Plan and the World Nomads Explorer Plan will depend on your home country, age, and length of your trip to the USA. Using my example of a month-long trip for a 24-year-old from the U.K., here are the prices:
In dollars, the Standard Plan costs $138.86 and the Explorer Plan costs $171.29. Since World Nomads offers such a high level of medical expense coverage for the USA compared to other providers, it provides you with great quality for its price.
You can get your own quote in seconds here:
USA health insurance for foreigners cost
Again, prices for this category are dependent on a number of factors. For the Patriot America and Patriot America Plus plans, your quote will be calculated based on your age, gender, length of trip, country of citizenship, and country of residence. The price of your travel insurance for the USA will also depend on the coverage limit you want and the price you prefer for your deductible, which is the amount you pay before your insurance starts to pay. The lower the deductible, the higher the price of insurance.
Using my example of a month-long trip for a 24-year-old female with U.K. citizenship who resides there, here are the prices for the travel insurance Patriot America plan:
And here are the prices for the travel insurance Patriot America Plus plan:
As you can see, the Patriot America plan is slightly cheaper and covers everything that the Patriot America Plus plan covers, except for the acute onset of pre-existing conditions for patients under 70. If you don’t have any kind of pre-existing medical condition, stick with the Patriot America plan. It’s cheaper and you’ll get the same level of coverage.
For the Atlas America plan, your price will depend on the length of the trip and your age. It will also depend on the coverage limit you want.
Travel insurance Cost for US citizens visiting the USA
As I mentioned above, Patriot America and Patriot America Plus are the best plans for US citizens visiting the USA.
We already shared the price of those plans here.
Visitors insurance cost for relatives visiting the USA
As we covered above, the best plans for relatives visiting the USA are the ones offered by World Nomads.
We already shared the price of those plans here.
Medical insurance cost for international students in the USA
Just as with the previous categories, prices for medical insurance for international students in the USA are based on several factors. For IMG Global’s Patriot Exchange Program, Student Health Advantage, and Student Health Advantage Platinum plans, your insurance cost will depend on your age, gender, length of trip, country of citizenship, and country of residence. Both Student Health Advantage plans have a fixed maximum limit and deductible, but the cost of your Patriot Exchange Program plan will also depend on the maximum limit and deductible you choose.
Based on my example of a month-long trip for a 24-year-old female with U.K. citizenship who resides there, here are the prices for the Patriot Exchange Program:
And here is the price of the Student Health Advantage plan:
And here is the price of the Student Health Advantage Platinum plan:
Meanwhile, the prices of Tokio Marine HCC’s four levels of StudentSecure plan are based on whether you are a U.S. citizen, the length of your trip, and your age.
Here are the prices for the StudentSecure Elite, Select, Budget, and Smart plans based on my example of a 24-year-old non-U.S. citizen spending a month in the U.S.:
It may be tempting to purchase the StudentSecure Smart plan because it is so cheap, but its low cost also means lower coverage. Make sure you research on all available plans to choose the one with the best coverage and benefits for you.
U.S. work visa health insurance cost
The price of your Atlas America Work Visa Health Insurance will depend on the length of your stay in the U.S., your age, and the maximum limit you choose.
If we use the example of a 24-year-old staying in the U.S. for a month:
How much does healthcare cost in the USA?
Many people might think buying travel insurance for the USA is a waste of money. However, as we’ve continually mentioned above, American healthcare can be really expensive. Do you know how much American healthcare really costs?
Below, we’ve compiled a chart of some common medical expenses:
PRICES OF MEDICAL SERVICES IN THE UNITED STATES
|Price of a medical visit without tests|
|Price of an emergency room visit|
|Price of an X-Ray|
|Price of an MRI scan|
|Price of a CAT scan|
|Price of an appendicitis operation|
|Price of a night in hospital|
|Price of general anesthesia|
|Price of ambulance transport|
|Price of an emergency room stay|
As you can see from the chart above, the price of any one of these items is many times more than the cost of travel insurance. Given these prices, travel insurance for USA is worth it for the medical expenses coverage alone.
Tips for buying travel insurance for the United States
To sum up this article, here are a few tips for buying travel insurance for the USA:
- Think about why you’re going to the U.S.: Are you going as a student? A relative? A worker? You might need different insurance for the USA based on your situation.
- Decide what level of coverage you want in terms of maximum limit, deductible, and your budget. These considerations will all affect what kind of plan you choose.
- Do your research: Use this article as a guide, but make sure you do your own in-depth research on plans so that you can be sure you’re picking the best plan for you. You should definitely use Insuremytrip to help you decide. They’re the best tool for comparing travel insurance policies and quotes for the U.S. Even better, they can act as an intermediary for you if you ever need to file a claim with an insurance company.
- At the very least, get some kind of medical coverage: Even if you don’t want USA travel insurance, you’ve seen how expensive U.S. medical fees can be. At the very least, get yourself some travel medical insurance. Your pockets will be much happier in the long run.