The best quotes about travel will inspire you to pack your bags, book that ticket, and start your journey in a new place. We’re always thinking about our next trip, and sometimes a saying or quote can remind us why we travel in the first place.
|Preparing for your next adventure? Don’t miss out on the best discounts for travel. Including a 5% discount on Heymondo, one of the best travel insurance of 2023.|
Traveling is a great opportunity to step out of your comfort zone, reflect on the bigger picture, and learn about the world and yourself. If you need some motivation, I’ve got a collection of inspirational travel quotes, quotes about traveling with friends, funny travel quotes, and more. With that and our step-by-step guide on planning a trip anywhere, you will have no excuses.
- Short travel quotes
- Most inspiring travel quotes
- Best quotes about traveling with friends
- Travel quotes for couples
- Best quotes about traveling with family
- Quotes for traveling alone & solo travel quotes
Spend some time reading through these adventure travel quotes and see which ones resonate with you most. Keep your favorites handy, so you can revisit them when you want some insight or something to inspire your wanderlust!
These short travel quotes are simple but can inspire lofty ideas for your next journey!
1. A change of latitude would help my attitude. – Unknown
As this short travel quote suggests, going to a new place can give you a total attitude adjustment!
2. Adventure is out there. – Charles Muntz
This travel quote from the animated film Up has inspired kids and adults alike. Adventure is out there; go find it!
3. Live your life by a compass, not a clock. – Erica Jong
I appreciate travel life quotes like this one. It’s not about how long you live, it’s whether you live it to the fullest. And for me, that means seeing the world!
4. Oh, the places you’ll go! – Dr. Seuss
This simple travel quote is a good one for life in general. Whether you’re moving to a new city or taking a trip around the world, oh, the places you’ll go!
5. Take only memories, leave only footprints. – Chief Seattle
This poignant travel quote is a reminder to treat our planet with respect, especially while traveling. Things like eco-tourism, carbon offsets, and environmental footprints need more attention!
6. The journey, not the arrival, matters. – T.S. Eliot
This is a quote about trips that can encourage you to slow down and enjoy the journey. Sometimes, we get so wrapped up in where we’re going, that we forget to appreciate all that’s around us.
7. There is a world elsewhere. – Shakespeare
This poetic travel quote is short and sweet. It’s easy to become distracted by daily life, but there is so much more out there.
8. To travel is to live. – Hans Christian Andersen
This travel quote says it all: traveling truly is one of the best ways to experience life.
Most inspiring travel quotes
The best travel quotes will inspire you to take the leap and go on a new adventure! Check out these inspirational travel quotes for more insight and direction.
9. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. – Lao Tzu
This inspiring travel quote applies to life, too. Step by step, we can reach new destinations, as well as our goals.
10. A ship is safe in the harbor, but that’s not what ships are built for. – Gael Attal
Remember that you are the ship, and you’re meant to experience this beautiful, magical world while you’re here!
11. Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times. – Asian proverb
No matter how many photos you see or stories you hear, nothing beats seeing a place in person!
12. Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have traveled. – Mohammed
This travel saying reminds us that experiencing unfamiliar places and cultures is one of the best ways to learn.
13. Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
This inspirational travel quote is about taking charge of your life and, as a traveler, getting off the beaten path to discover new places.
14. Investment in travel is an investment in yourself. – Matthew Karsten
A lot of people think about investing in their career or home, but the life experience you get through traveling is one of the greatest investments. The insight, perspective, and resilience you gain can help you in all facets of life.
15. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. – Neale Donald Walsch
This tried and true travel quote is another one that can inspire you to push past fears and embrace adventure! And remember, everyone’s comfort zone is different!
16. Travel is never a matter of money, but of courage. – Paulo Coelho
While taking a trip requires money, this inspirational travel quote reminds us that you also need the courage to leave behind familiarity for adventure.
17. Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. – Robert Frost
Frost was a poet who understood the importance of charting your own path rather than following the crowd. That principle applies to traveling too, as you can find all kinds of unique places when you venture away from the tourist traps.
18. We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us. – Anonymous
Quotes about traveling the world
These quotes about traveling to new places will ignite your desire to pack up and go somewhere new!
19. I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met. – Melody Truong
Here is a famous travel quote that can spark wanderlust in anyone, especially travel junkies like us!
20. It’s a big world out there, it would be a shame not to experience it. – J.D. Andrews
Even if you can only go to the next town over, it’s always worth it to visit a new place and see something different.
21. Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. – Andre Gide
This is another travel quote that points out how you need to face some fears to travel to new destinations. Of course, it’s totally worth it!
22. The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page. – St. Augustine
Here is a wonderful metaphor that can motivate you to step out of your comfort zone and go someplace new. Travel always reminds us that the world doesn’t revolve around us, and there are so many different ways of life.
23. The most beautiful thing in the world, is, of course, the world itself. -Wallace Stevens
This simple travel quote truly needs no explanation. When you feel down or uninspired, the world is there in all its natural beauty.
24. There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign. – Robert Louis Stevenson
This quote about traveling the world can shift our perspective to see the big picture.
25. There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars. – Jack Kerouac
Some people live to travel, and they get bored when they’re in one place for too long. If that’s you, know that you’re not alone!
26. Travel because life is short, and the world is huge. – Anonymous
If you need an inspiring travel quote, here it is!
27. Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world. – Gustave Flaubert
This travel quote is also about the big picture. If you’ve ever stood on the edge of a cliff or sailed in the middle of the ocean, you know that sensation of feeling ridiculously small in a big world.
28. Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow. – Anita Desai
These quotes are for travel lovers who crave their next adventure. If you’re ready to indulge your wanderlust, keep reading this adventure sayings!
29. Adventure may hurt you, but monotony will kill you. – Ghaniya Dewi Arassyi
This travel quote will resonate with many digital nomads and explorers. Waking up in a new place and experiencing a different culture may be jarring at first, but that kind of adventure is much better than doing the same thing every day.
30. All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware. – Martin Buber
Anyone who has traveled will agree that this wanderlust quote is 100% true.
31. Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures. – Lovelle Drachman
Life is full of adventures and things to see, and if you’re curious enough, you’ll experience them all!
32. Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show. – Unknown
Odds are, the most interesting and fulfilled people you’ve met have spent more time seeing the world than buying things.
33. If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet. – Rachel Wolchin
This is one of the best travel quotes for a burst of inspiration.
34. Jobs fill your pocket. Adventures fill your soul. – Unknown
While it’s pragmatic to have both, it’s true that you gain something when you travel that you don’t get anywhere else.
35. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. – Helen Keller
Helen Keller’s motivational travel quote applies to life in general, so whatever the word adventure means to you, go for it!
36. Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. – Ibn Battuta
This is the perfect quote for travel lovers! After a trip, you always come home with a story or two to tell, and those tales stay with you for life.
37. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. – Mark Twain
This is a simple travel quote to motivate you. Have you ever met anyone who said they regretted traveling?
Some of the best trips are the ones you take with good friends. I’m sure these travel quotes will inspire you to hit the road with your best friends. These are my favorite quotes about traveling with friends.
38. A good friend listens to your adventures. Your best friend makes them with you. – Unknown
Whoever said this trip quote knows what it’s like to have that best friend who will explore the world and navigate life with you.
39. Everyone needs this friend that calls and says, “Get dressed, we’re going on an adventure.” – Unknown
Here is another fun quote about traveling with friends. Do you have that bestie that’s always ready for the next adventure?
40. I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. – Mark Twain
I’m sure everyone can relate to this funny travel quote. When you take a trip with someone, you learn a lot about them, yourself, and your relationship!
41. It doesn’t matter where you’re going, it’s who you have beside you. – Unknown
As this travel quote suggests, one of the best parts of taking a trip isn’t the destination, but who you’re with.
42. Life is meant for good friends and great adventures. – Anonymous
I don’t think anyone can argue against the idea that adventure and friendship are two of the best things in life!
43. Sometimes all you need is a great friend and a tank of gas. – Thelma and Louise
This cute saying is the perfect travel quote to inspire your next road trip!
44. The more I travelled, the more I realized fear makes strangers of people who should be friends. – Shirley MacLaine
This life travel quote is an excellent reminder of how people can connect across cultures, countries, and languages. One of the best things about traveling is that it introduces you to diverse ways of seeing the world and living life, and of course, new friends.
45. Travel is better with friends. – Unknown
This travel quote needs no explanation. While a solo trip can be fun now and then, traveling with friends is one of the best experiences in life.
46. We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls. – Anais Nin
Those who love to explore will understand the depth of this quote. Traveling is the best way to find yourself, others, and new insights about the world.
Traveling with friends is great, but if you have a significant other, it’s a unique experience. Let these couples’ travel quotes encourage you to take a journey with your partner!
47. A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it. – John Steinbeck
This couples’ travel quote is an important one. As with life and relationships, there are many things out of our control, and the same goes for traveling. However, that doesn’t mean the trip isn’t worthwhile!
48. Actually, the best gift you could have given her was a lifetime of adventures. – Lewis Carroll
This excerpt from Alice in Wonderland makes for a wonderful travel quote. Money gets spent, clothes get tattered, and cars break down, but adventures give you memories that last forever.
49. I would like to travel the world with you twice. Once, to see the world. Twice to see the way you see the world. – Unknown
I love this quote about traveling together because you can share perspectives and gain even more from your trip.
50. In life, it’s not where you go – it’s who you travel with. – Charles M. Schulz
Here is a beautiful quote about traveling with a partner or friend that I 100% agree with!
51. Never go on trips with anyone you do not love. – Hemingway
Although it’s a funny travel quote, it’s quite true!
52. No road is long with good company. – Turkish proverb
I love this proverb about travel because no matter where you’re going, as long as you have a loved one beside you, it’ll be okay.
53. Sharing adventures means enjoying them 100% more. – Unknown
This is another great travel quote for couples or friends. A solo adventure can be fun, but it’s different from sharing travel experiences with someone you love.
54. Together is our favorite place to be. – Unknown
This quote about travel and love is so heartwarming. Having your partner by your side can make any trip more magical, although simply being in each other’s presence is often enough.
55. Traveling is like flirting with life. It’s like saying, “I would stay and love you, but I have to go; this is my station. – Lisa St. Aubin de Teran
This longer travel quote is an interesting analogy that frequent travelers might relate to. Visiting new lands and meeting new people is like flirting; as soon as you start to connect, you move onto a different location.
56. What we find in a soulmate is not something wild to tame, but something wild to run with. – Robert Brault
Whether or not you believe in soulmates, it’s true that the best partner is the one we can go on adventures with.
Taking a trip as a family can be a bonding experience, as well as frustrating and memorable! These quotes about family vacations are funny and heartwarming, so they perfectly capture all facets of traveling with your kids.
57. A family that travels together stays together. – Unknown
Some travel quotes and sayings are cute and sweet, like this one. Family trips can be a wonderful opportunity to spend quality time together and strengthen bonds.
58. I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine. – Caskie Stinnett
While it’s a funny travel quote, this saying can also correspond to family life. Sometimes families get tied into a routine and lose touch with each other. Taking a trip together disrupts the monotony and brings everyone closer.
59. Love is the food of life, travel is dessert. – Anonymous
If you ask any adventurous spirit, they’ll agree that love and travel is all you need!
60. Not all classrooms have 4 walls. – Unknown
I think this is one of the top travel quotes, and it’s especially pertinent to families. Sometimes, parents get nervous about letting their kids travel, but seeing a new place and a unique way of life is one of the most fulfilling ways to educate oneself.
61. Travel. Your money will return. Your time won’t. – Unknown
A contemplative quote about travel and life, this simple sentence encourages us to go on adventures while we can. After all, when we’re old, it’ll be easier to work than to hop on a plane!
62. Traveling in the company of those we love is home in motion. – Leigh Hunt
This is such a cute couples’ travel quote to remind us that home is the people we love, not a specific place.
63. Two of the greatest gifts we can give our children are roots and wings. – Hodding Carter
This is one of the sweetest travel quotes for families. While kids need stability, they also have vivid imaginations. Traveling with their parents can awaken their childlike wonder and instill in them a sense of adventure.
If you’ve ever taken a solo trip, you know that it’s one of the most life-changing experiences. And if you haven’t had the pleasure of traveling alone yet, hopefully, these quotes about solo trips can inspire you!
64. I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world. – Mary Anne Radmacher
This is a beautiful travel quote about how you change as a person when you wake up in an unfamiliar environment. Going through daily life in a different place truly alters the way you view the bigger picture.
65. I wondered why it was that places are so much lovelier when one is alone. – Daphne du Maurier
If you’re thinking of going on a solo adventure and need a nudge, consider this quote about traveling alone. Sometimes, going on a trip with people we know can distract us from the full experience of discovering a new place.
66. Not until we are lost do, we begin to find ourselves. – Henry David Thoreau
Here is another simple travel quote that has a deeper meaning. Sometimes, we have to get lost and break away from what’s familiar in order to truly meet ourselves.
67. To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world. – Freya Stark
Something that digital nomads crave is the feeling of being lost or a stranger in a new land. For these people, there is no other feeling like it!
68. Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life—and travel—leaves marks on you. – Anthony Bourdain
Anthony Bourdain was one of the most beloved world travelers, so his adventure travel quote resonates deeply. The best thing about traveling is that you sprinkle a bit of yourself everywhere you go, and you bring a bit of that place back with you.
69. Travel far enough, you meet yourself. – David Mitchell
Read between the lines of this travel quote, and it makes so much sense. The more you stray from what you know, the more you learn about yourself, and the world!
70. When the traveler goes alone, he gets acquainted with himself. – Liberty Hyde Bailey
I agree that taking a trip with friends or a partner is awesome, but when you travel alone, you have so much time to get to know yourself.
Funny travel quotes
The deep, motivational sayings are great, but sometimes a funny travel quote is all you need to inspire your next adventure!
71. I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list. – Susan Sontag
This is the perfect quote for travel lovers! Where is your next adventure going to be?
72. I love to travel but hate to arrive. – Albert Einstein
This short and sweet saying is another reminder that it’s often the journey – not the destination – that matters most.
73. I met a lot of people in Europe. I even encountered myself. – James Baldwin
It could be Europe or a few miles from your house, but when you travel, you gain new insights into yourself – your personality, quirks, likes, dislikes, everything.
74. I need a vacation of 6 months. Twice a year! – Unknown
This silly travel quote is funny, but all too true!
75. If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it’s lethal. – Paulo Coelho
Yes, stability is important, but adventure is fulfilling and just as essential.
76. It’s bad manners to let vacation wait! – Unknown
Here’s another lighthearted travel quote to remind you to book that vacation!
77. To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. – Aldous Huxley
This travel quote is funny yet wise. Even though we are more connected than ever, you truly don’t understand a place until you step foot there yourself.
78. You know it’s time for a vacation when you start looking like the person on your driving license… – Unknown
Quotes about wanderlust
The best travel quotes plant a seed in your mind, a will in your heart, and a spark in your spirit. I’m sure these motivational quotes about traveling the world will awaken your inner wanderer!
79. A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. – Lao Tzu
This one is for the wanderers and frequent travelers. While there is a place for planning and preparation, some of the best trips are those with limited foresight.
80. One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. – Henry Miller
One of the best quotes on traveling, this saying gets to the root of why so many people love to travel. Visiting a new destination opens us up to all kinds of sights, sounds, smells, people, and lessons.
81. People don’t take trips, trips take people. – John Steinbeck
This is another travel quote that’s funny and deep. You can plan your trip, but things never go 100% according to plan, and you often end up with experiences you didn’t expect!
82. Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination. – Roy M. Goodman
Goodman’s quote about travel and happiness reminds us that the journey is more important than the destination.
83. Wanderlust: (n) a strong desire or urge to explore the world.
Does this definition of wanderlust resonate with you? Which part of the world do you want to see next?
84. The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. – Marcel Proust
Proust’s motivational quote about traveling rings true. The more you travel, the more you open your mind and heart.
85. Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer. – Unknown
Forget souvenirs; this travel quote reminds us that the best thing you gain from a trip is the richness of the experience.
86. You don’t need magic to disappear, all you need is a destination. – Unknown
Quotes about wandering
Similar to the wanderlust quotes, these sayings appeal to those with a nomadic spirit. Which one is your favorite?
87. It is better to travel than to arrive. – Buddha
The Buddha’s quote points out that the true treasure is the journey itself.
88. Not all those who wander are lost. – J.R.R. Tolkien
Tolkien’s words remain one of the most popular quotes about wandering. Some people are simply born to travel and visit different lands!
89. This wasn’t a strange place; it was a new one. – Paulo Coelho
Sometimes, a destination can seem strange and intimidating, but it’s simply a new adventure waiting for you!
90. Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe. – Anatole France
I think this travel quote about nature makes a good point. When we explore all the beautiful natural places in the world, we gain a deeper appreciation for this planet.
91. The gladdest moment in human life, me thinks, is a departure into unknown lands. – Sir Richard Burton
This travel quote is self-explanatory, but travel lovers will agree that the best moments of their lives were probably while they were exploring.
92. We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment. – Hilaire Belloc
There is something to this quote about travel and life. It describes how we can wander, either by hopping from one place to another or by changing up certain aspects of our lives. However, these are usually distractions, and it’s when we travel wholeheartedly that we feel fulfilled.
Other travel quotes for Instagram
This last section of trip quotes is perfect for sharing on social media or keeping around the house.
93. Forget champagne and caviar – Taste the world instead! – Hostelgeeks
Would you rather see the world than have fancy things? Me too!
94. Measure life by countries, not years. – Unknown
If you love to travel, you’ll appreciate this one. It’s a quote for travel and life and says that it’s not about how long you live; it’s about how well you live!
95. Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are sandy. – Unknown
I bet you don’t need more convincing to take a tropical vacation, but this beachy travel quote is a good one!
96. The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost. – Henry David Thoreau
When you have the courage to step out of your comfort zone and get off the beaten path, you find yourself having experiences of which you wouldn’t even dream!
97. There’s no time to be bored in a world as beautiful as this. – Anonymous
This travel quote doesn’t need an explanation; there are so many gorgeous places to see in this world.
98. Travel – the best way to be lost and found at the same time. – Brenna Smith
This short travel quote is straight to the point!
99. With age, comes wisdom. With travel, comes understanding. – Sandra Lake
This inspirational travel quote is definitely worth sharing. The more we travel, the more we learn about different people and ways of life. And that leads to more understanding and tolerance, which is a beautiful thing!
100. You can’t have a narrow mind and a thick passport. – Pauline Frommer
Piggybacking off the previous travel quote, this sentence encapsulates the idea that adventuring requires an open mind.
I hope you loved these travel quotes and sayings! If they inspired you to go on an adventure or sparked your wanderlust, let me know. Also, what are some good travel quotes you’ve heard? Leave me a comment below to share your favorites!