Buying travel insurance for Bali should be the first thing you do before you jet off to this fantastic destination. You’ll be able to fully relax and enjoy your amazing vacation since you’ll be covered in pretty much any situation!
Of course, there are other questions you might be worried about, such as: Do I need any vaccinations for Bali? Is Bali safe?
Rest assured. In this article, we’ll tell you if Bali is dangerous for tourists and why. Also, we will recommend you the best travel insurance for Bali and will let you know the Bali travel insurance requirements you need to check when reviewing any policy.
When she was visiting the Monkey Forest, one of the main things to visit in Ubud, a monkey bit her. If she hadn’t had travel insurance for Bali, her trip could have ended much more abruptly!
To give you another example of how useful travel insurance for Bali is, one of my best friends was riding a scooter in Bali and got into an accident. Luckily, he had his travel insurance for Bali to cover him.
The bottom line is that it’s just smarter and safer to travel with travel insurance for Bali, and I wouldn’t even think of going to Bali without it!
This is why I decided to write this article where you will find:
- What is the best travel insurance for Bali
- Compare of the best Bali travel insurance companies
- Is travel insurance mandatory for Bali?
- Is Bali safe to visit?
- What to do if you get sick in Bali or have any other emergency
What is the best travel insurance for Bali?
If you’re going to buy travel insurance for Bali, you’ll want to make sure you’re purchasing the plan that’s the best for you.
We’ve done our research, and the best travel insurance for Bali is, far and away, World Nomads. This Bali travel insurance is the only one that covers some of the most popular things to do in Bali, such as surfing, diving, snorkeling, riding a scooter, and hiking some fantastic volcanoes.
Not only that, but the travel insurance policy for Bali of World Nomads covers much more than other insurers for the lower premium, as you’ll see in our comparison of the best travel insurance in Bali 2020 later on in this article.
World Nomads has two different plans: the Standard and the Explorer. Both plans cover the same activities, but you get higher coverage with the Explorer plan. If one of the activities you plan to do while you’re in Bali is not included at the busic plan you will need to buy an upgrade.
Make sure you read your travel insurance policy for Bali very carefully so that you know you’re covered no matter which activities you do. Excellent travel insurance coverage for Bali is a must, especially if you’re doing all kinds of exciting and potentially dangerous sports.
Travel insurance for hiking volcanoes in Bali
One of the coolest tours in Bali is to hike Mt Batur! Of course, if you’re planning on doing that, buying travel insurance for Bali volcano might be a good idea. Hiking up to 2,000 meters is included in your World Nomads plan, so you don’t need an upgrade for Mt. Batur.
However, if you also want to visit other volcanos in the country, you need to check the best travel insurance for Indonesia and you may need an upgrade for hiking up to 6,000 meters.
Anyway, buy your Bali travel insurance, so it covers all your volcano hiking needs!
Best travel insurance for surfing in Bali
Another great thing to do in Bali is to catch some waves! And World Nomads is also the best travel insurance for surfing in Bali! Their basic plan covers pretty much all of your surf travel insurance Bali needs and includes: surfing, surf boat rowing, stand up paddle surfing, kite surfing, and windsurfing ( within 3 nautical miles inland or coastal waters).
However, if you want to windsurf beyond 3 nautical miles, you’ll need to purchase an upgrade.
SCUBA DIVING INSURANCE FOR BALI
If you are planning to dive during your trip, you need travel insurance for Bali that covers diving and World Nomads also cover this activity.
The World Nomads basic plan includes snorkeling, as well as scuba diving up to 30 meters, but only if you have the right qualification or are diving with a qualified instructor.
However, if you’re going scuba diving up to 40 meters, you’ll need an upgrade, even if you’re fully qualified.
Insurance for riding a Scooter in Bali
Riding a motorcycle can be a great and quick way to get around Bali while you’re visiting. Besides, you can get Bali travel insurance for riding a scooter from World Nomads too.
A big question that people often have is: Is Bali dangerous for tourists? If it’s your first time riding a scooter, then yes, I would say so! Fortunately, World Nomads can cover any medical expenses if you have an accident in Bali while you’re riding your scooter. However, World Nomads insurance is not the same as rental vehicle insurance so that they won’t cover any damage caused to the scooter.
Compare Bali travel insurance companies
However, it doesn’t only covers every possible sport or activity you could want to do, but it also includes the most sports and activities for the same great price.
To compare the best Bali travel insurance, we used the example of a 30-year-old Australian visiting Bali for two weeks. Take into account that price and coverage may vary depending on your residence and age.
COMPARE BEST TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR BALI
Evacuation & Repatriation
150% of trip cost
Customer Service is sometimes overloaded
Customer Service sometimes is overloaded
No 24/7 support. You need to mail the claims to be covered
Insurance doesn't pay up front. You need to make a claim to be reimbursed
Which is the best travel insurance company for Bali?
As this chart for comparing travel insurance for Bali shows you, World Nomads Standard has the best medical coverage of all the insurance plans.
Another good option is IMG iTravelInsured SE, but if you want to buy this insurance, purchase it through Insuremytrip. This Bali travel insurance comparator will help you compare travel insurance policies for Bali and give you the best price.
Best of all, buying through Insuremytrip means you get access to a service called “Anytime Advocates,” which helps you file a claim if you need to. With “Anytime Advocates,” the process to file a claim will be easy! So you don’t have to wonder anymore: How do I file a travel insurance Bali claim?
Atlas International could be a good option if you’re looking for a cheap Bali travel insurance. However, it doesn’t offer 24/7 support, so it may not be the best option for you. Insuremytrip also include this plan so if you decide to go with it, buy it from that platform.
Last and least, the Allianz One Trip Basic plan doesn’t offer nearly enough coverage, so you shouldn’t even consider it.
Is travel insurance mandatory for Bali?
An important question that’s probably crossed your mind is: Is travel insurance mandatory for Bali?
To answer your question, no, it’s not mandatory to have travel insurance in Bali. It’s ultimately your choice, but at the end of the day, you should think twice before paying a visit to Bali without travel insurance.
The cost for Bali travel insurance varies. However, it will always be cheaper to buy travel health insurance for Bali than to get treated for an illness in hospital and have to pay for it out of your own pocket.
Do I need travel insurance for Bali? Ultimately, YES! It’s always better to be prepared for unexpected situations because they can happen to anyone. Think how much more relaxed you’ll be knowing that you’re covered in rain, wind, shine, sickness, health, or otherwise!
Is Bali safe to visit?
Perhaps the most important question you might be wondering is: Is Bali dangerous for tourists? Bali is actually pretty safe compared to a lot of other places around the world, but there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Bali is located in the Ring of Fire, so Earthquake can happen from time to time. Make sure you have your travel insurance for Bali, so you’re covered if a natural disaster occurs.
- Don’t drink the tap water in Bali because it’s non-potable! Only drink bottled water so you can avoid getting Bali Belly. Food could still potentially be contaminated though, so make sure you have travel insurance for Bali just in case you experience gastrointestinal issues and get sick in Bali.
- In terms of driving in Bali, drivers can be quite aggressive, and they also drive on the left side of the road. Tourist driving accidents are quite common. If you decide to rent a scooter, always wear your helmet. Also, remember to have the number for your insurance on hand just in case you get injured in Bali.
- Malaria is not a problem in Bali, but do be careful if you visit other rural regions in the country.
- Nowadays terrorism is not common in Bali. However, the known as 2002 Bali bombings killed 202 people in Kuta; most of them Australian tourists.
Vaccinations for Bali
As with travel insurance, vaccinations for Bali aren’t required. Just make sure that all your vaccines are up to date.
Always do your own research, though, so you can make sure there aren’t any injections for Bali or other health-related things you need to do before you go.
For example, a question people often ask before they go to Bali is: Do you need to take malaria tablets for Bali? The answer will depend on what your country recommends. If you’re American, you can have a look at the U.S. Department of State website. If you’re from the UK, check out Travel Health Pro to answer any of your questions. Or, if you’re Australian, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website can give you more information.
Most importantly, get Bali health insurance. That way, if you get sick in Bali, there will be no need to worry. Your Bali health insurance will make sure you’re covered!
Most Common Accidents in Bali
It may come as a shock, but the most common accidents in Bali probably aren’t the ones you’re thinking of (malaria, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.). These common accidents are worth keeping in mind so you can make sure your travel insurance for Bali covers you for them:
- Bali Belly is the most common sickness in Bali. Take care with the water you drink and the food you eat.
- Driving accident when exploring the island by motorbike.
- Getting bitten by a mosquito or another insect
The chances are that your most significant emergency in Bali will be one of these situations, but there’s no need to panic! As long as you have your travel insurance for Bali, complete with health insurance for Bali, you’ll be back to riding waves and hiking volcanoes in no time!
Healthcare in Bali
Healthcare in Bali is actually pretty decent. In most touristy areas, you’ll be able to find medical clinics geared explicitly toward tourists and expats. You’ll spend more here than at a local healthcare facility, but they offer excellent healthcare at these clinics, so they’re worth it, especially since most local healthcare isn’t really up to international standards. These tourist-specific clinics can also send you to the best doctors and hospitals in Bali, and they can even liaise with your insurance company if you have any severe medical issues.
Medical care in Bali is still pretty affordable compared to much of the world, but if you don’t have travel health insurance for Bali and you need medical evacuation, you could end up paying more than $100,000 out of pocket. That’s why in Bali you need travel insurance. It’s better to be safe than sorry, especially where health is concerned.
What is the cost of travel insurance for Bali?
We’ve told you the best travel insurance for Bali, so now you need to know: How much does Bali travel insurance cost?
The useful chart below can help you check the price of travel insurance for Bali plans. We used the example of a 30-year-old Australian but remember: the final price of your plan is based on many different factors, including your country of residence, your age, and the length of your trip.
|7 DAYS||15 DAYS||30 DAYS||3 months||1 year|
HOW MUCH IS TRAVEL INSURANCE FOR BALI?
As you can see from the chart, World Nomads is easily the best travel insurance for long trips. Atlas International doesn’t have 24/7 assistance, but if you’re ok with that, then their plan would be the best cheap travel insurance for Bali for a short trip.
IMG is another good option, but buy it through Insuremytrip so you can get their best Bali travel insurance quote, as well as the “Anytime Advocates” service to help you if you need to file a claim. IMG has a lot of other options besides the iTravelInsured plan, especially if you’re traveling on a long-term trip, and offers insurance for a lower price if you don’t want coverage for things like trip delays, baggage, etc. (This is an excellent option for you if these things don’t really bother you and you want to lower the cost of your travel insurance for Bali.)
What’s covered with travel insurance to Bali?
Check these things in your travel insurance to Bali policy so that you can make sure you have sufficient coverage:
- Medical expenses: Don’t even consider any plans with less than $150,000 worth of coverage.
- Activities covered: Make sure the activities you want to do in Bali are covered.
- Evacuation and repatriation: You’ll want coverage for up to at least $500,000.
- Advance payment: Ask if your Bali insurance company will pay upfront.
- Natural disasters: There is potential for tsunamis or earthquakes, however rare, so make sure your travel insurance for Bali covers this.
- Trip cancellation, interruption, or flight delay: It’s always nice to have the security of being covered in case of these common travel mishaps.
- Lost luggage and theft: This is another common travel mishap, so make sure your travel insurance for Bali coverage includes these situations.
How to Buy Bali Travel insurance
Now that you know the best Bali travel insurance, you need to know how to buy it!
Below is an in-depth guide to help you get an instant Bali travel insurance quote.
WORLD NOMADS TRAVEL INSURANCE QUOTE FOR BALI
Let’s start with World Nomads!
- Go to worldnomads.com
- Scroll down and fill in your details: your country of residence, start and end dates of your trip and your age.
- Go to “Get a Price.”
- Scroll down and check the coverage of the “Standard,” and “Explorer” plans.
- Choose the plan you want to purchase and click on it: either “Buy Standard” or “Buy Explorer.”
- Choose any valuables you’re planning to take and very important: the sports/activities you plan to do.
- Complete your details and payment information, and submit it. All done!
IMG TRAVEL INSURANCE QUOTE VIA INSUREMYTRIP
- Go to Insuremytrip.com.
- Type Indonesia or any other country you are visiting and click “Start a Quote.”
- Type in your travel dates, age, citizenship, and residence, and click “Next.”
- If you want, you can also type in your total trip cost and the date your first deposit was made. Then click “Next”.
- Select everything you’re planning to do on your trip. Then click “See Plans & Prices.” For our example, we just selected “Taking a flight” and “Staying in a hotel or resort.”
- If you don’t see IMG’s plan scroll down and click “Go to all 36 comprehensive plans.”
- Find IMG iTravelInsured SE and click “Buy this plan.”
- Complete the personal details and payment information.
What to do if you get sick in Bali
Make sure you buy a travel insurance plan for Bali before you even set off on your journey. If you are on an emergency in Bali, there will be no need to worry since you’re covered!
If you get sick or something happens, take a deep breath and stay calm. You have your Bali travel insurance, so everything is going to be ok.
If you bought a World Nomads plan, call them and they will let you know what to do or where to go. If it’s an emergency situation where hospital admission and/or medical evacuation is required, they will pay upfront so relax. In case you are traveling with other travel insurance company for Bali, you may need to pay from your own pocket, but don’t worry, you will be reimbursed once you make your Bali travel insurance claim.
Remember that if you buy your policy through Insuremytrip, no matter if it is either the IMG plan, the Atlas International plan or any other, they will help you to fill the claim, making things easier.
Before you go, I leave you the essentials for your trip to Bali: