Knowing the best areas and hotels to stay in Los Angeles is essential if you are visiting LA. However, it is a challenge to choose where to stay in Los Angeles since it is one of the largest and most dynamic cities in the US. Also, consider that this is probably one of the most expensive cities in the country, so it can be challenging to find cheap accommodation in Los Angeles if you don’t plan well in advance.
Luckily, there are many hotels in Los Angeles, but you must be careful as there are certain places that we recommend you avoid. To help you make your stay a safe and unforgettable experience, in this article, you will find the best neighborhoods to stay in Los Angeles and a selection of the best accommodation in Los Angeles that we recommend according to your budget.
Whether you want to get the perfect area to sleep in Los Angeles or if you are looking for the best hotels to stay in Hollywood, you are in the right place. Let’s start with the best areas to stay in Los Angeles.
Best areas to stay in Los Angeles
In this section, we tell you the best areas and hotels to stay in Los Angeles. Keep in mind that accommodation prices in Los Angeles vary from $30 to $200 per person and night, so to help you choose, we will tell you which are the best hotels according to your budget in the most popular places to sleep in Los Angeles.
1. Hollywood, the best area to stay in Los Angeles
Hollywood is the best area to stay in Los Angeles due to its location and security. It is the best option if you don’t have a car because it is equidistant from the main attractions and connected through a powerful public transport system.
The headquarters of the most famous film studios in the world, Universal Studios, and the Walk of Fame are there, so it is not difficult to understand why it is the most tourist area of Los Angeles. Besides, the iconic Hollywood sign is at a walkable distance from here.
Being such a tourist place, you can find it challenging to choose between the great diversity of hotels to stay in Hollywood.
Besides, Hollywood is the safest area to stay in Los Angeles and has hotels of all colors, types, and prices. During my stay in Los Angeles, meeting the famous Chinese Theater was one of the best tours I took.
If you’re starting your 10-day West Coast Road Trip, there is no better place to depart.
These are the best accommodations in Hollywood according to your budget:
- Premium option: Villa Delle Stelle (our hotel in LA)
- Standard option: Motel 6 Hollywood
- Low-cost option: USA Hostels Hollywood
2. Beverly Hills, one of the most expensive neighborhoods in LA
Beverly Hills is the most affluent area in Los Angeles, located west of the city. It is full of places to visit, like the famous Rodeo Drive, where we can find some of the most expensive shops. Also, its green areas are lovely and give it a unique touch.
For being one of the most comfortable areas to stay in Los Angeles, security is up to what it offers. Thefts and fights are very rare, and the police presence is excellent. Of course, you will have to pay a higher price than if you stay in other places in LA.
The best hotels to stay in Los Angeles are here. However, add the rising costs in restaurants, coffee shops, and everything you buy in this area to the price of hotels in LA if you choose Beverly Hills. The advantage is that it won’t be difficult to find free parking lots for your car.
These are the best hotels in Beverly Hills:
- Premium option: Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills
- Standard option: Crescent Hotel
- Low-cost option: Hotel del Flores
3. Santa Monica, one of the best neighborhoods in Los Angeles
Warm and welcoming, this is Santa Monica, the coastal district of the city that we like the most. It is undoubtedly one of the best areas to stay in Los Angeles and where to walk without worries since it is quite safe. The Santa Monica Pier is the most popular place among tourists.
If you stay in this part of the city, stroll through the Palisades Park with complete tranquility and sunbathe on the beautiful Santa Monica State Beach. At night, I recommend you visit the Third Street Promenade, an outdoor shopping center where you will find numerous restaurants.
It is undoubtedly an excellent place to sleep in Los Angeles, and if you book in advance, you can find hotel deals. Also, if you travel by car, you will find your hotel with free parking in Los Angeles here.
These are the best accommodations in Santa Monica LA:
- Premium option: Viceroy Santa Monica
- Standard option: Hotel Carmel By The Sea
- Low-cost option: HI Los Angeles – Santa Monica Hostel
4. Venice Beach, an excellent option to stay in Los Angeles
Another increasingly popular area to stay in Los Angeles is Venice Beach. Many visitors that want to stay in the tourist areas of Los Angeles stay here as prices tend to be lower than those in Santa Monica, located north of this coastal district.
Its famous promenade, the Venice Boardwalk, is ideal for walking, cycling, and, of course, skating. Venice Beach also has the hotels with the best views in Los Angeles. These are our favorites:
- Premium option: Venice on the Beach Hotel
- Standard option: Samesun Venice Beach
- Low-cost option: PodShare Venice
5. Los Feliz, one of the best neighborhoods to stay in Los Angeles
Los Feliz, considered one of the best neighborhoods to stay in Los Angeles, is ideal for walking and having a rest from the city. Here you can find the famous Griffith Park where, in addition to enjoying its museum, you have the best views of Hollywood.
For many, it is the best residential area in Los Angeles for its excellent security. It has a wide range of tourist places to know, such as La Luz de Jesus Gallery, the Wacko complex, and Barnsdall Art Park, among others. There are not many hotels in this area of Los Angeles, so the best option is usually to stay in an apartment or Airbnb. Some of the best in the area are:
- Apartments on Airbnb: Earn $31 Cash Reward at Airbnb
- Standard option: Travelodge by Wyndham Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset
- Low-cost option: PodShare Los Feliz
6. West Hollywood, a good place to sleep in Los Angeles
West Hollywood is a district of Los Angeles with a wide variety of attractions. A lot of celebrities live here so you can see large mansions with lovely gardens.
West Hollywood Park is one of the busiest and safest places in the district. If you want a good option to sleep in Los Angeles, this place is the one.
Staying in this area of Los Angeles is not expensive because you get cheap and beautiful options, especially if you book in advance. In addition, it is one of the most comfortable areas of Los Angeles. These are my favorite accommodation options:
- Premium option: Andaz West Hollywood-a concept by Hyatt
- Standard option: Ramada Plaza by Wyndham West Hollywood Hotel & Suites
- Low-cost option: Alta Cienega Motel
7. Downtown LA, sleep in downtown Los Angeles
For those looking for a central place to stay in Los Angeles, this option is the best. Downtown LA is considered a business area, so a priori it doesn’t have as many attractions as other areas. However, it is very well connected with other places in the city.
As for attractions for visitors, we find the Walt Disney Concert Hall, The Broad, and the Bradbury Building, among others. It is the most practical area to sleep in Los Angeles, and you will have everything at hand. It also boasts the best hotels in Los Angeles.
If you want to get cheap accommodation in Los Angeles, start looking here. You will find authentic bargains; This is undoubtedly the most affordable area to stay in Los Angeles.
- Premium option: The Standard, Downtown LA
- Standard option: High Skyline Suite with Parking
- Low-cost option: Little Tokyo Hotel
8. LAX, accommodations near Los Angeles airport
Another option to stay in Los Angeles, if you fly late or early in the morning, is the area near the airport. In addition to having accommodation at a reasonable price, you can take advantage of seeing some of the places that this area offers while waiting for a flight. For example, you can visit the Flight Path Museum & Learning Center, where you can see models of historic airplanes and The Space Exploration Gallery.
If you book your accommodation in Los Angeles near the airport, you will be connected to the rest of the city by the Green Line.
- Premium option: Hyatt Regency Los Angeles International Airport
- Standard option: Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport
- Low-cost option: Super 8 by Wyndham Los Angeles Airport
Neighborhoods where not to stay in Los Angeles
Although Los Angeles is one of the most prestigious cities in the US, it is not 100% safe. Robberies with violence, drug use, and fighting are common in some areas of the city.
Below, we will mention some areas to avoid in Los Angeles, although first, I would like to remind you of the importance of hiring proper travel insurance for the USA. In addition to preventing troubles in case you suffer a theft, you will be covered against any medical expenses that may arise during the trip. The healthcare in the United States is so costly that visiting this country without buying insurance is too risky.
- South Central: It is the most dangerous area of Los Angeles; it has one of the highest crime rates in the World (there are more than 60 criminal gangs in this area). Thefts, clashes of clans, and homicides are common.
- Compton: Located to the south of the city, it is another area where not to stay in Los Angeles. According to police figures, robberies have increased in recent months both in daylight and at night.
- East Los Angeles: This neighborhood is one of the poorest and most dangerous in Los Angeles and has no tourist attraction, so it is not an option when you are looking for the best hotels and areas to stay in Los Angeles.
Best hotels in Los Angeles
If you are one of those who need the best luxurious hotels to sleep in Los Angeles, beyond the areas where they are located, we have made a selection of the most impressive. In this section, we tell you the best hotels we recommend in Los Angeles. Of course, you are warned: they are not suitable for all budgets:
- Four Seasons Hotel at Beverly Hills, one of the best hotels to sleep in Los Angeles
- Casa Del Mar, romantic hotel where to stay in Los Angeles
- Hotel Bel-Air – Dorchester Collection, fantastic hotel in Los Angeles
- Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills, an excellent alternative to sleep in Los Angeles
- Viceroy L’Ermitage Beverly Hills, one of the most luxurious hotels in Los Angeles
- The Peninsula Beverly Hills, the best place to rest in Downtown LA
- Beverly Hills Hotel – Dorchester Collection, excellent accommodation where to stay in Los Angeles
Cheap accommodation in Los Angeles
Now, if you care more about price than quality, here you will know the most affordable hotels in Los Angeles; the best options where to stay in Los Angeles without spending much. In this way, you can tour the city without worrying about the budget and above all, avoiding staying in dangerous neighborhoods when looking for only the lowest price.
Remember that even if LA is one of the most exclusive cities in the USA, it is not difficult to end up staying in a dangerous neighborhood if you are only trying to get cheap accommodation in Los Angeles. To avoid this, below, you will find cheap hotels in Los Angeles located in good neighborhoods:
- HI Los Angeles – Santa Monica Hostel
- USA Hostels Hollywood
- Orange Drive Hostel
- The Hotel Hollywood
- Republic Inn / Hollywood
Map of the neighborhoods of Los Angeles
Los Angeles is one of the most touristic cities in the world, in addition of being the second city with more inhabitants in the US. Knowing the best hotels and areas to stay in Los Angeles is essential even before booking your flight.
Thus, I recommend taking a look at this map to quickly locate the best places to stay in Los Angeles before booking your accommodation in LA.
If you have any other questions during your search for the best accommodation in Los Angeles, leave us a comment, and we will help you right away. See you there!