Staying in a Northern Lights hotel in Iceland is the best option to enjoy this phenomenon.
As you know, the Northern Lights tourism has spread in recent years, and thanks to this, some hotels offer alternatives that go one step ahead from other accommodations in Iceland.
If you really want to see the Northern Lights in Iceland and you aren’t willing to leave the country without doing it, you should stay in one of the next hotels.
Some of the best hotels to see Northern Lights in Iceland offer rooftop observatories, thermal baths overlooking the sky, igloos equipped with all the amenities and, most importantly: A privileged location away from light pollution to enjoy the magic display of Northern Lights.
Every day there are more and more hotels aimed at this activity, but in this article, we will focus only on those that offer the best experience.
Best hotels to see northern lights in Iceland
In a nutshell, these are the best Northern Lights hotels in Iceland:
- Hotel Rangá: The best hotel to see Northern Lights in Iceland. It has an observatory on its roof.
- Hotel Husafell: The best hotel to see the Aurora Borealis in Iceland away from light pollution.
- Hotel Laxnes: The best rustic hotel to see the Northern Lights in Iceland.
- Reykjavik Domes: Original igloo hotel for Northern Lights in Iceland.
- Grand Hotel Reykjavik: The best option if you want to see the Northern Lights in Reykjavik.
- Aurora Cabins: The best hotel to see the Aurora in eastern Iceland.
- Hotel Kjarnalundur: Enjoy the Northern Lights from an outdoor jacuzzi.
- Villa Lola: The best hotel to see Northern Lights in northern Iceland.
1. Hotel Rangá. The best hotel to see Northern Lights in Iceland
This hotel is designed for the Aurora lovers; it offers a real sky observatory, an atmosphere of low light at night, and even an alarm to wake you up when the Aurora starts dancing across the Sky.
2. Hotel Husafell. Hotel to see the Aurora in Iceland away from light pollution
One of the best hotels to see the Northern Lights in Iceland both for the quality and the location, is the Hotel Husafell.
The Husafell area is a beautiful valley full of snowy peaks, waterfalls, and vegetation. This paradise is also one of the best spots for seeing the Northern Lights, far from the light pollution of Reykjavik.
The hotel is decorated in a luxury-minimalistic Nordic style and offers activities for the day like hiking and thermal baths.
3. Hotel Laxnes. The best rustic hotel to see Northern Lights in Iceland
Away from the city center of Reykjavik, and most of the light pollution, the Hotel Laxnes is one of the best accommodation for seeing the Aurora Borealis in Iceland.
It’s a rustic classic hotel with a picturesque bar and a delicious breakfast.
4. Reykjavik Domes. The most original hotel to see the Aurora in Iceland
If you want to stay in a Northern Lights hotel in Iceland, you need to check the Reykjavik Domes. This complex of luxurious tents with garden views allow you to see the Aurora right from the door.
This glamping (“Glamorous camping”) option, provides also a kitchen and a bathroom with shower.
Just taking a look at the interior of the domes, you’ll see that this has nothing to do with normal campings; Here you’ll have all the facilities to stay comfortable while enjoying the Aurora performance.
5. Grand Hotel Reykjavik. The Northern Lights hotel in Reykjavik
If you are looking for a more standard hotel to see the Northern lights in Iceland, the Grand Hotel Reykjavik offers all the standards of normal hotels with top design and quality.
6. Aurora Cabins. The best Northern Lights hotel in Eastern Iceland
These cabins offer a beautiful mountain view in a remoter location away from any light pollution. This hotel is also close to the picturesque Stokksnes beach and Hofn village, some of the best places to visit in Iceland.
7. Hotel Kjarnalundur. The best hotel to see the northern lights from a jacuzzi
If your dream is to see Northern Lights in an original way, doing it from the outdoor jacuzzi of the Kjarnalundur hotel is one of the best options.
8. Hotel Villa Lola. hotel to see the northern lights in northern Iceland
If your plan is to travel to the north of Iceland to see the Aurora, doing so from Villa Lola hotel can be a lifetime experience.
This avant-garde hotel offers a privileged panoramic view of the famous Akureyri fjord, and it is six kilometers away from the city so you can enjoy great clean skies.
In addition, in the surroundings, there are numerous hiking trails and the possibility of doing one of the popular whale watching tours in Iceland.
Finally, and regardless of the hotel you are staying in, don’t forget to check the daily Northern Lights forecast through the official NOAA space administration website as well as the cloud forecast in Iceland through the website Vedur.is to check if there will be clear skies in your area.
If you are a photographer and it is your first time seeing the Aurora Borealis, you should check my ultimate guide to photographing the Northern Lights.
Good luck on your trip and Northern Lights chasing experience!