Northern lights hotels and tourism are booming, and the best evidence is the number of people flying every year to the extreme latitudes of our planet to chase the magical Aurora Borealis.
My experience photographing Northern Lights in different countries such as Canada, Norway, and Iceland, has taught me that when you plan a Northern Lights trip, the most important thing is being in the right place at the right time.
This is much easier when you stay at a Northern Lights hotel, where you can see the “green lady” even from your room.
Staying in one of the best Aurora Borealis hotels will make your experience unforgettable, whether it’s watching the Aurora from a transparent igloo room in the middle of the boreal forest or from a wooden cabin in the Arctic.
There is an endless list of Northern Lights accommodations, and it just keeps growing. Here, we will focus only on the best Northern Lights hotels in the world.
Best hotels to see Northern Lights
Summing up, these are the best Northern Lights hotels:
- Eliassen Rorbuer: For many reasons, my favorite hotel to see Northern Lights.
- Hotel Rangá: The best Northern Lights hotel in Iceland and one of the few specialized in Aurora-watching in the world.
- Blachford lake lodge: The best Northern Lights hotel in the Northwest Territories of Canada.
- Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort: The best Aurora Borealis hotel to enjoy the green lights from an Igloo hotel in the Finnish Arctic.
- Pinetree Lodge: Enjoy the best Northern Lights accommodation in the middle of the Swedish boreal forest.
- Alyeska Hotel: The best Northern Lights hotel in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness.
- Arctic Hotel: The best Northern Lights hotel to see the Aurora reflected in the icebergs of Greenland.
As you can see, we can find specialized Northern Lights hotels practically all over the world. Now, we will see the best ones in more detail:
1. Eliassen Rorbuer, my favorite Northern Lights accommodation
For me, the best hotel to see Northern Lights are these old Norwegian fishermen’s cabins.
There aren’t words to describe the feeling of going out of your cabin and seeing the impressive Reinefjord painted in green by the Aurora.
Eliassen Rorbuer has been the most impressive Northern Lights hotel I have stayed in. I can’t wait to return to Norway to repeat this experience.
2. Tromso Ice Domes, the most original hotel to see Northern Lights
The hotel is an ice igloo that has all the comforts to spend a warm and unforgettable night. Also, you can take a snowshoes Northern Lights tour and see the Aurora by a bonfire.
If you are traveling to Norway to see this phenomenon, you may also be interested in reading our article on the best hotels to see Northern Lights in Norway.
3. Hotel Rangá, the best Northern Lights hotel-observatory
Not many Northern Lights hotels are specialized in this phenomenon, but the Hotel Rangá, in Iceland, is one of them.
The lights of the hotel are adapted at night to avoid light pollution, and they have a service that wakes you up in case the Aurora starts dancing across the sky.
In any case, the thing that makes the difference in this hotel is the real observatory on the rooftop to see Northern Lights.
4. Reykjavik Domes Hotel, the best Northern Lights “Glamping.”
As you probably know, ” Glamping ” refers to ” Glamorous camping,” or those campsites located in the middle of nature, but with all the amenities of a classic hotel.
If you want to see more accommodations in this region, here you can find our article with the best hotels to see Northern Lights in Iceland.
5. Blachford LakeLodge, The best remote hotel to see Northern Lights
The Blachford Lake Lodge is located in the middle of Lake Blachford, not far from Yellowknife, one of the best places to see northern lights in Canada. To get to the hotel, we will have to take one of the company’s bush airplanes, which will take us directly to the remotest hotel to see Northern Lights.
Despite its remote location, this hotel offers all services such as restaurants, heating, Wifi, excursions, and activities during the day and, the most important thing: A Northern Lights alarm service!
6. Northern Lights Resort & Spa, the best Northern Lights relax-hotel in Canada
In the famous Northern Lights area of Whitehorse, Canada, the Northern Lights Resort & Spa offers a golden opportunity not only to see the Northern Lights but also to relax in the sauna and Spa.
If your goal is to disconnect from the world while watching the Aurora, this is your best bet. For more option, check our article on the best hotels to see Northern Lights in Canada.
7. Hotel Alyeska, the best Northern Lights hotel in Alaska
When thinking of Alaska, mountains, glaciers, and pure nature inevitably come to mind.
If you want to see Northern Lights in a purely natural environment, the Alyeska Hotel is the best option.
Also, this hotel offers skiing activities, glacier walking tours, and wildlife-watching excursions, as well as many more services and restaurants.
8. Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, the best Northern Lights hotel in Lapland
If you are planning your Aurora trip in the Finnish Lapland, the Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort offers an otherworldly experience.
This Northern Lights hotel consists of transparent igloos to see the Aurora from your room as well as wooden chalets with services such as sauna and spa.
Besides, from the hotel, you can take additional tours to watch the famous reindeer of the Lapland region.
9. Pinetree Lodge, the best Aurora Borealis hotel in the boreal forest
I’m sure you’ve seen countless images of the Aurora dancing above the boreal forest.
In the Pinetree lodge, you can experience and capture that beautiful moment, since it’s located in the middle of the boreal forest in the Swedish Arctic region.
Also, this hotel offers a bar and restaurants with local food from the Lapland region.
10. Arctic Hotel, the best Northern Lights hotel in Greenland
Besides, the hotel views are ideal to see the incredible spectacle of the Northern Lights reflected in the sea icebergs.
As you can see, the best Northern Lights hotels list is extensive, but any of the Aurora accommodation included above will make your experience unique and unforgettable.
If you are a photographer and your goal is to capture Northern Lights pictures, I also recommend you to check our Guide to photographing Northern Lights.
Good luck on your trip and Northern Lights chasing experience!