Check which travel insurance covers COVID-19 (test and treatment abroad). Or buy the Heymondo plan with a 5% discount.
Without a doubt, Timanfaya National Park is an extraordinary place, and the best way to see it is on a Lanzarote volcano tour. This type of excursion is perfect if you don’t have a car to visit Timanfaya on your own, or if you prefer to go with a guide and learn more about this attraction. In any case, there are plenty of tour options to choose from, so there’s no excuse not to visit one of the best national parks in Spain.
Besides, going to Timanfaya National Park is a must-do in Lanzarote, and one of the most unique attractions on the island. The incredible volcanic and geological formations here are astounding, and something that you won’t find just anywhere. In fact, walking through this park often feels like traversing the surface of Mars!
If you’re ready to take a Lanzarote volcano trip, here are the 6 best tours in Timanfaya:
- Full-day tour to Timanfaya National Park
- Guided volcano hike to Timanfaya
- Excursion to Timanfaya, Cueva de los Verdes & Jameos del Agua
- Timanfaya & Jameos del Agua trip with wine tasting
- Timanfaya volcano tour from Fuerteventura
- Camel ride, one of the most popular Timanfaya tours
1. Full-day Lanzarote Volcano Tour
One of the most popular tours to Timanfaya is this seven-hour excursion, which allows you to fully explore the southern part of Lanzarote. Not only will you visit Timanfaya National Park, but you’ll stop at famous sites like La Geria and the town of Yaiza. It’s a full day and one of the overall best tours in Lanzarote.
Your first stop on this Lanzarote volcano tour includes geothermal demonstrations at Islote de Hilario, Timanfaya’s Visitor Center. Here, you’ll see how the underground heat continues to rise, even though the last volcanic eruptions here took place in the 18th century.
The trip continues with the famous Route of the Volcanoes, in which you’ll ride a bus past the most incredible landscapes in the park and some of the most active volcanoes in Lanzarote. During this 35-minute bus ride, you’ll see lava flows, craters, and different shades of volcanic sand.
In addition, you’ll enjoy three hidden gems of Timanfaya. First is Los Hervideros, a series of impressive cliffs made of lava. When the waves hit the walls of the cliff, the water seems to boil, hence that name. You’ll also see El Golfo, part of a volcanic crater that offers beautiful views. Finally, visit Charco de Los Clicos, some natural pools with water that turns green from the high concentrations of sulfur.
This Lanzarote volcano bus tour ends in the town of La Geria, which is known for its vineyards and cultivation methods that were designed specifically for volcanic soil.
- Highlights: Route of the Volcanoes, Los Hervideros, El Golfo, Charco de Los Clicos, La Geria
- Duration: 7 hours
- Price from: €40
- Departs from: Costa Teguise, Arrecife, or Puerto del Carmen
- Description: This tour includes pick-up, admission to Timanfaya National Park, and stops at El Golfo and Charco de Los Clicos. After a lunch break (meal not included), the excursion continues to La Geria and a local winery. Camel rides are not included, although you may pay for one at the park.
2. Guided volcano hike to Timanfaya
If you’re fond of hiking, this guided hike is the perfect Timanfaya excursion for you. During the trek, you’ll go to the Parque Natural de Los Volcanes, a protected area bordering Timanfaya National Park. This three-hour tour will take you past craters, between calderas, and through the remains of amazing lava tunnels.
This Lanzarote volcano tour begins with pick-up service from different points on the island. If you choose the option without pick-up, you’ll have to get to the meeting point (Finca Testeina car park) on your own.
During this Lanzarote volcano walk, you’ll hike 4.5 miles and be able to appreciate the volcanic landscapes that the island is known for. Timanfaya National Park boasts a stunning display of colors, including shades of black, brown, gray, and ochre. Don’t forget your camera!
This hiking tour is led by a professional guide who will share all kinds of details and information about the craters, tunnels, and geological formations you’ll see along the way. You’ll also learn about the volcanic eruptions that took place on Lanzarote hundreds of years ago.
- Highlights: Hiking route through the Parque Natural de Los Volcanes
- Duration: 6 hours
- Price from: €40
- Departs from: Costa Teguise, Playa Blanca, Puerto del Carmen; or meet at Finca Testeina car park
- Description: This excursion includes an energy bar, fruit, bottled water, and a professional hiking guide.
3. Excursion to Timanfaya, Cueva de los Verdes & Jameos del Agua
One of the best Timanfaya tours is this excursion, which includes admission to Timanfaya National Park and a visit to the Cueva de los Verdes and the Jameos del Agua.
This Lanzarote volcano trip includes hotel pick-up and bus transportation to Timanfaya National Park. There, you’ll do the Route of the Volcanoes and witness the incredible landscapes of the Fire Mountains (Montañas del Fuego). The tour also includes a stop at the Visitor Center, where you’ll watch geothermal demonstrations showing you the effects of the volcanic eruptions from hundreds of years ago.
Your Timanfaya National Park tour continues with a visit to the Cueva de los Verdes, one of the most famous attractions on Lanzarote. This natural cave formed after the land was upturned during an eruption, and it’s one of my favorite places on the island because it’s so unique.
The last stop is the Jameos del Agua, another area that was shaped by volcanic lava and debris. Keep your eyes peeled for tiny white crabs, an endemic species in Lanzarote. Also, this site is home to a series of gardens designed by César Manrique, the most pivotal artist from the Canary Islands.
- Highlights: Route of the Volcanoes, Cueva de los Verdes, Jameos del Agua
- Duration: 9 hours
- Price from: €64
- Departs from: Costa Teguise, Arrecife, Playa Honda, Puerto del Carmen, Puerto Calero, and Playa Blanca
- Description: This tour includes hotel pick-up and drop-off, as well as bus transportation to Timanfaya National Park, Cueva de los Verdes, and the Jameos del Agua. A tour guide and admission to all three sites is included.
4. Timanfaya & Jameos del Agua trip with wine tasting
Another great volcano tour in Lanzarote is this full-day excursion that takes you to several popular attractions and a wine tasting.
This Timanfaya tour begins with a stop in Yaiza, a picturesque town overlooking the mountains and its volcanoes. While you’re here, don’t miss the opportunity to try a traditional Lanzarote drink of coffee with milk.
Afterward, immerse yourself in the landscape of Lanzarote’s west coast. This excursion to Timanfaya includes stops at Los Hervideros, Charco de Los Clicos, and El Golfo. The landscapes of each of these places are spectacular, and your tour guide will tell you all about the volcanic formations. Once in Timanfaya National Park, take the Route of the Volcanoes bus ride before ending up at the Visitor Center, where you’ll see some interesting demonstrations.
The day trip continues with a visit to Mancha Blanca, another charming Lanzarote town that’s known for its Canarian architecture, specifically its church. Then, continue through the wine region of La Geria, where you’ll learn about the local methods used to cultivate wine in the volcanic soil. Of course, you’ll get to taste some of the best wines in the area.
The last leg of this Lanzarote volcano tour ends with amazing views of the Valley of 1,000 Palms, one of the highest viewpoints on the island. You’ll also see one of the most beautiful spots in Lanzarote, the Jameos del Agua, an underground tunnel formed by ancient volcanic eruptions.
- Highlights: Yaiza, Timanfaya, Mancha Blanca, La Geria, Valley of 1,000 Palms, Jameos del Agua
- Duration: 10 hours
- Price from: €56
- Departs from: Costa Teguise, Arrecife, Puerto del Carmen, Puerto Calero, Yaiza, and Playa Blanca
- Description: This tour includes admission to Timanfaya National Park, the Jameos del Agua, and pick-up/drop-off service. You’ll be led by a professional tour guide and enjoy a wine tasting. The tour doesn’t include Timanfaya camel rides.
5. Timanfaya volcano tour from Fuerteventura
If you’re visiting Fuerteventura, I recommend taking this one-day tour to explore Lanzarote and discover its volcanic landscape. This excursion to Timanfaya includes a wine tasting in the wine region of La Geria, as well as a stop at Charcos de Los Clicos.
After getting picked up from your hotel, you’ll travel to the Port of Corralejo. From there, board the express ferry to Playa Blanca, a town on the coast of Lanzarote and the starting point for this Lanzarote volcano bus tour.
The first site you’ll visit is Timanfaya National Park, home to a unique volcanic environment and lots of geothermal activity. Your Lanzarote volcano tour continues to La Geria, where you’ll learn about the island’s extraordinary wine production process. Also, you can sample some delicious local wines while admiring the ash-covered vineyards.
Next, check out the southern coast of Lanzarote and see the Charco de Los Clicos and its dreamy cliffs. Finally, you’ll take the ferry from Playa Blanca back to the island of Fuerteventura.
- Highlights: Timanfaya National Park, La Geria, Charco de Los Clicos
- Duration: 6 hours
- Price from: €56
- Departs from: Fuerteventura (Corralejo, Castillo/Caleta de Fuste)
- Description: The tour includes admission to Timanfaya National Park and a wine tasting. Enjoy pick-up service and a round-trip ferry from Fuerteventura to Lanzarote.
6. Camel ride, one of the most popular Timanfaya tours
Although this particular excursion in Timanfaya is very popular, I don’t recommend it. Personally, I think you can enjoy all that Timanfaya National Park has to offer without doing this type of tour.
We visited the park and took the Timanfaya tour by bus, along the Route of the Volcanoes. This allowed us to go further into the park and see a wider variety of incredible landscapes. Best of all, we didn’t have to disturb any animals.
If you still want to do this Timanfaya camel tour, this camel ride follows an authorized footpath where you can appreciate Lanzarote’s volcanic environment. The tour has a pick-up service that can collect you from your hotel and transport you to the Echadero de Camellos. The camel ride itself lasts 25 minutes.
Also, this tour ends with a stop at a small museum in Timanfaya, where you’ll learn about the camels and how they’re able to withstand the high desert temperatures.
- Highlights: Timanfaya National Park
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Price from: €23
- Departs from: Puerto del Carmen, Costa Teguise, and Arrecife
- Description: This tour includes hotel pick-up and drop-off along with a 25-minute camel ride.
That’s it for these Lanzarote volcano tours! I hope this guide helps you decide which tour to take, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave me a comment below. I’ll be happy to help you out. Until then, enjoy your tour through Timanfaya National Park!