15% OFF Topaz Labs with the code CAPTUREATHOME15
In this Topaz DeNoise AI review, we are going to see an in-depth analysis of this noise-reduction software from Topaz Labs.
I’ve used Topaz software for years, and the new version of their most famous tool, Topaz DeNoise, has taken a major step forward, implementing Artificial Intelligence, minimizing digital and chromatic noise, and keeping the original details in your photos.
How many images have you discarded due to annoying digital noise? I am pretty sure more than a few photos have been sadly abandoned in the deepest part of your hard drive for this reason. Sometimes the amount of noise is beyond repair, but other times, the quality can be recovered using the right tools. It’s time to give these photos another chance by denoising them with Topaz AI.
My experience using Topaz Denoise AI to reduce noise couldn’t be more satisfying. It’s incredibly simple, intuitive, and powerful, but it also has some downsides that you need to know and we’ll talk about here. In this Topaz Denoise AI tutorial, I’m going to show you how to use, step by step, this new version of DeNoise AI, regardless of the software you use to edit your photos.
Ready to let your noisy images see the light of day again? Let’s do it!
- What is Topaz Denoise AI?
- How to use Denoise AI? Topaz Denoise AI Tutorial
- Topaz Denoise AI Before & After Review
- My experience using Topaz Denoise AI
- Topaz Denoise AI review Pros and Cons
- Topaz Denoise AI Discount
What is Topaz Denoise AI?
Topaz Labs is a company that uses the most advanced technology and Artificial Intelligence to help you with the common photography post-processing difficulties: noise reduction, sharpening, masking, etc.
Since 2005, Topaz Labs has been developing probably the most innovative software, and they’re at the top of their game with every update.
Topaz DeNoise AI is the “intelligent” version of DeNoise 6. That was launched in early 2019, and it was already one of the best noise reduction software in the market. Adding AI technology based on machine learning is by far more efficient than the old processing techniques to reduce noise, especially for preserving the detail in your photos.
The new update of Topaz DeNoise AI includes a slider to reduce the Chroma Noise. This slider goes one step further, giving you the control to target and effectively reduce this type of noise in photography.
How to use Topaz Denoise AI? – Topaz Denoise AI Tutorial
Topaz DeNoise AI is intuitive and quite easy to work with. In this guide to Topaz Denoise AI, we’re breaking down how to master Topaz DeNoise AI in a few simple steps:
- Download and install Topaz DeNoise AI. Go to Topaz Labs and select your operating system. Topaz DeNoise AI supports both Windows and Macintosh OS. Once you download the file, you can start the installation process.
- Once the installation is finished, you will be able to see the Topaz DeNoise AI standalone version within your applications. Topaz DeNoise AI plugins for Lightroom or Photoshop should have also been added automatically. If not, you can add them manually.
- The first time you open Topaz DeNoise AI, you will be asked to log in with your Topaz Labs account or to try the Denoise AI free trial offered for 30 days. Topaz Labs encourages you to use DeNoise AI at the very beginning of your post-processing workflow in order to achieve greater effectiveness at reducing noise while preserving detail. This first step is mandatory to make sure that you start working on a clean image.
Now, let’s get into more details about how to use the Topaz DeNoise AI in its different versions:
- Topaz Denoise AI standalone version
- Topaz Denoise AI plugin for Lightroom
- Topaz Denoise AI plugin for Photoshop
How to use Topaz Denoise AI standalone version
Before getting into details, this is, briefly, how to eliminate digital noise with Topaz DeNoise AI step by step:
- Open Topaz DeNoise AI Standalone version
- Drag or open your image
- Adjust the setting sliders or leave it in Auto mode
- Save the new file with the output settings selected
To do this review of the Topaz DeNoise AI Standalone version, I’m using this photo of the Barrenjoey Lighthouse in Sydney. This photo was taken using a Canon 5D Mark IV, a 16mm focal length, and the following settings: f2.8, ISO 6400, 20 sec.
As you can see in this 100% zoom crop, it is very noisy.
This is the interface of Topaz DeNoise AI Standalone version:
Open or drag your file/s. This software supports most of the commonly used photography files, such as raw files, .dng, .tiff, .jpegs, etc.
In the upper right corner, you will find a toolbar with these options:
♦ To change the view mode of the photo you’re working with, you can select:
- Original (original photo preview)
- Split (Original and denoised photo preview)
- Single (denoised photo preview)
♦ To help you find, analyze, and reduce the noise in the dark areas and shadows of your image, you can select “Brighten”. This option just changes the overall brightness in the preview of your image and doesn’t affect the final edited image.
♦ Zoom in on your images to check the whole process properly.
Main Noise reduction settings
On the right side, you will find:
- A navigator with the selected zoom box.
- Auto-Update preview. Unclick it if it runs too slowly.
- Select the mode to use: either DeNoise AI or AI Clear.
AI Clear is the older version of this software, and even though it will work in most images, DeNoise AI will do a better job at keeping detail in your final photos.
- Choose between Auto or Manual Mode. The Auto mode works fantastically for most of the photos tested. However, it can be pretty aggressive and leave your photos with a washed-out look. With Manual Mode, you can set the adjustments according to your taste.
- Chroma Noise Reduction Slider. This is the newly added feature, which helps you to reduce Chroma noise manually. When you modify it, another setting will appear called “Chroma noise reduction size”.
- Save, where you can set your output settings before saving your images.
A nice starting point to use Topaz Denoise AI is using the Auto Settings and then switching to Manual to tweak the adjustments until you’re happy with the results.
How to reduce digital noise with Topaz DeNoise AI in manual mode
Below, you’ll find the four main sliders that you can adjust in Manual Mode. Also, I explain the best Topaz DeNoise AI adjustments to remove digital noise with Topaz Denoise AI and preserve detail so the image maintains a natural look:
- Remove Noise: This slider is just magic. It removes the digital noise of your photo effectively but doesn’t go too far. Values between 10-30 are enough for most photos.
- Sharpen: It sharpens and recovers details in images that may become a bit blurry after denoising. Topaz Labs has software dedicated to sharpening your photos called Sharpen AI. I recommend using that specific software instead of using this sharpen slider, but if you still prefer to sharpen your images here, don’t set values over 30; this will avoid unwanted halos or weird textures.
- Recover Original Detail: It helps recover some detail that has been washed out after the noise reduction. It adds a bit of grain to keep the image natural, 5 points is usually more than enough.
- Chroma Noise Reduction Strength: This is the new slider in Topaz DeNoise AI that controls the Chroma noise reduction. It’s a very powerful tool, but you should try to keep the value under 0.15. Otherwise, it will desaturate your image, particularly the oranges. You can leave the Chroma Noise Reduction Size at its default or reduce it a little bit.
Please note that there is no preview for this adjustment.
These were the settings I used for this particular scenario:
Now, let’s focus on the details. You can check the before and after here:
Before & After – Noise Reduction with Topaz DeNoise AI standalone version
Before & After Zoom Crop – Noise Reduction with Topaz DeNoise AI standalone version
How to use Topaz Denoise AI plugin for Lightroom
As we talked about in our guide to noise reduction in Lightroom, reducing noise in Lightroom with Topaz DeNoise AI couldn’t be easier. Even though you won’t be able to apply the adjustments locally, as you will with the plugin for Photoshop, launching the plugin from Lightroom makes the whole process faster.
To use Topaz DeNoise AI in Lightroom, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the image selected > Edit In > Topaz DeNoise AI. If asked, always edit a copy with the Lightroom Adjustments.
- Apply the adjustments accordingly as explained above in the Topaz AI standalone version section.
- Click on Save and wait until the image is processed and imported into Lightroom.
To test the Topaz DeNoise plugin for Lightroom, I selected a wildlife photo taken with a Canon 5D Mark IV at 400m; f5.6, ISO1600, and 1/800s. I pushed the sharpening a bit further to recover some detail since I used a very open aperture.
Here is the result:
How to use Topaz Denoise AI plugin for Photoshop
Using the Topaz DeNoise AI plugin for Photoshop is undoubtedly the best way to reduce noise in your images. It’s the way I’ve been reducing noise in my images for years, as we have explained in our guide to noise reduction in Photoshop. And now, you can easily incorporate this method into your Photoshop workflow with numerous benefits.
To me, the most remarkable advantage is having the possibility of creating different noise reduction layers depending on the areas of the image and applying the layer masks locally.
To reduce the noise using Topaz DeNoise AI in Photoshop, follow these simple steps:
- Duplicate your layer or create a Smart object layer so your adjustment is not destructive.
- Go to Filter > Topaz Labs > Topaz DeNoise AI.
- Apply the necessary adjustments as explained above in the Topaz AI standalone version section.
- Click on Save and wait until the image is processed and imported into Photoshop.
For this example, I selected a super long exposure photo taken during the VIVID Festival in Sydney last year. It was taken with a Canon 5D Mark IV at 32mm, using these settings: f8, ISO400, 540s.
For this Topaz DeNoise AI review, I pushed the settings a bit further than normal. Also, I activated Chroma Noise Reduction so you can see how it desaturates the final image:
This is the normal example without Chroma Noise Reduction:
Before & After – Noise Reduction with Topaz DeNoise AI Photoshop Plugin (without Chroma Noise Reduction)
And this is the same example applying some Chroma Noise Reduction:
Topaz Denoise AI before & after review
So far, we’ve covered, in this Topaz DeNoise AI review, the way this software works, but the question is: is it worth it? Let’s analyze two new examples in more detail to show Topaz DeNoise AI before and after.
1. Example – Topaz Denoise AI for astrophotography
Astrophotography always means dealing with digital noise, so having great and reliable software is a must.
The first photo that we’re using as an example shows an abundant amount of noise, since it was taken at ISO 6400, and, without a good denoise software, it would probably go directly in the trash.
Here is the result of applying some basic noise reduction settings using Topaz DeNoise AI for Photoshop (Remove Noise: 32, Sharpen: 41, Recover Original detail: 5).
Before & After – Noise Reduction with Topaz DeNoise AI Photoshop Plugin for Night Photography
Topaz DeNoise AI does a great job reducing the photo’s noise in the sky and the ground. At the same time, it preserves the stars and details of the Milky Way. However, there is still a great amount of color noise, especially in the foreground and the mountains.
To remove the color noise, I applied the same settings, but moved the Chroma Noise Reduction Strength to 75 and the Chroma Noise Reduction Size to 0.5. You can see the result below compared to the previous image:
Before & After – Chroma Noise Reduction with Topaz DeNoise AI Photoshop Plugin for Night Photography
The difference is stunning. Just remember that going too far with the Chroma Noise Reduction can also remove some tones, like oranges and, in this image, the blue of the snow. In this case, I wanted to remove the light pollution, so I’m happy with the result.
Topaz DeNoise AI minimizes the noise in most of the ground area quite well, also reducing the color noise, as you can see in this example.
The way this software reduces the noise in the sky without eliminating any stars make Topaz Denoise AI the best noise reduction software for astrophotographers.
2. Example – Topaz Denoise AI for Underexposed images
For the next example, the ISO wasn’t very high (250), but the original image was underexposed. I just increased the exposure and the shadows to try to recover the image, and the result was a lot of grain and noise.
Digital noise caused by increasing the exposure and the shadows to recover an underexposed image
To reduce the noise and recover detail, I applied 25 points of Noise Reduction and 50 points of Sharpening, also using Topaz DeNoise AI plugin for Photoshop. I think that the result speaks for itself:
Before & After – Noise Reduction with Topaz DeNoise AI review
My experience using Topaz Denoise AI
My opinion after using Topaz DeNoise AI for several months now is that Topaz DeNoise is probably the most powerful tool for reducing digital noise in your images while keeping the detail.
In my opinion, that is the cornerstone of this software. While others reduce noise at the expense of washing out all detail, Topaz DeNoise AI maintains or even improves the detail with its Sharpen slider. The use of Artificial Intelligence plays a super important role in this particular aspect, and Topaz Labs are using this technology to take noise reduction to a whole new level.
Most of my photos are taken in low light conditions or using long exposure night photography techniques, so I have to raise the ISO, with the consequent side effect of digital noise on my images. Thus, having trusty software that can easily clean my photos is a must in my photography.
My experience using Topaz DeNoise AI
I personally run Topaz DeNoise AI as a Photoshop plugin, implementing it easily at the beginning of my workflow, and it’s by far the best noise reduction software I’ve ever tried (and we have tested 9+ as you can see in the above article).
TOPAZ DENOISE AI REVIEW – topaz denoise ai PROS
To sum it up, these are the main advantages of using Topaz DeNoise AI:
- It’s incredibly effective at reducing noise while preserving detail.
- You can sharpen your photos at the same time you denoise your images.
- The new Topaz Denoise AI batching update allows us to denoise multiple images at the same time when using the Standalone version.
- Free Updates. So far Topaz Labs has not charged for any updates, even when they release completely new software. With the Artificial Intelligence onboard, there’ll be plenty of improvements, so the best is still to come and it will be free!
- Intuitive interface, user-friendly adjustments, and plugins for LR and PS.
- 40% off when you buy “The Utility Bundle”, which other AI Topaz software like Sharpen AI (the best software to fix blurry photos) and Gigapixel AI.
TOPAZ DENOISE AI OPINION – Topaz denoise ai CONS
Topaz DeNoise AI is not perfect. There is still room for improvement. These are the main cons of Topaz DeNoise AI.
- High specifications needed, slowing down the process if you have an old computer. Don’t forget to check the recommended Topaz Denoise AI system requirements if you’re using an old computer.
- No possibility of previewing the Chroma Noise Reduction.
- Artificial Intelligence failing in some specific images at recognizing the digital noise.
Topaz Denoise AI discount AND PRICE
The price of Denoise AI is $79.99 for a lifetime license; a fair price considering it’s probably the best noise reduction software in the market.
Planning to give it a try? You can use our Topaz Denoise AI promo code to enjoy 15% off your purchase.
15% OFF Topaz Labs with the code CAPTUREATHOME15
However, if you’re a passionate photographer, my recommendation is to get the Utility bundle. This includes, in addition to Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI, and JPEGtoRAW AI; without a doubt the best software using Artificial intelligence that will take your post-processing to the next level.
As of the time of writing this article, the Utility bundle is offered at a high discount, to which you can also add our Denoise AI Coupon Code to get an even better price!
You can check if the offer is still available here.
If you want to get more info about the other software included in the Topaz Bundle, you can also check my other Topaz Reviews:
Topaz DeNoise AI is by far the best denoising software of the market, and to see it you only have to run some tests with other similar software like we did in this noise reduction software comparison. Getting rid of digital noise in your images while preserving details is the key for choosing Topaz Denoise AI vs other noise-reduction software.
Implementing Topaz DeNoise AI into my workflow was a great improvement in my experience denoising images, making my images cleaner and having files with a better quality.
I hope you found this Topaz Labs DeNoise AI review helpful and it encourages you to give it a try so you can get rid of digital noise forever!
On top of that, don’t forget that you have a free 30- day trial, so What are you waiting for?
15% OFF Topaz Labs with the code CAPTUREATHOME15
Please feel free to leave any questions related to Topaz DeNoise AI in the comments 😉