If you’re thinking about taking an excursion on Tenerife, you’re in for a treat. Many of the most popular day trips in Tenerife visit the island’s main points of interest, like Mount Teide, or involve fun activities like whale-watching.
Below, I’ll share the best excursions in Tenerife, including their prices and what to expect. I’d also like to point out that the best way to get around the island is by renting a car in Tenerife. However, if you don’t want to do that, you can book this tour from the north or this tour from the south, and explore the top attractions on the island. For example, both tours go to the amazing cliffs in Los Gigantes, the traditional town of Candelaria, the beautiful village of La Orotava, and other must-see places in Tenerife.
In addition to these two excursions, here are some tours in Tenerife that I recommend, whether you are driving or not:
- Mount Teide
- Dolphin and whale-watching
- Submarine trip
- Anaga Rural Park
- Masca Gorge
- Snorkeling with turtles
- Stargazing from Mount Teide
- Kayaking at Punta de Teno
- La Gomera
- La Palma
1. Mount Teide, one of the most popular excursions in Tenerife
First, this tour is one of the best excursions in Tenerife, as it takes you to the island’s crown jewel, Mount Teide. This is one of the most iconic places to visit in Tenerife, and if you take this tour, you’ll have your transportation, cable car ticket, and hiking permit taken care of.
This Tenerife day tour departs from Puerto de la Cruz, where there are several pick-up points, and begins with a bus ride to the base of the cable car station in Teide National Park, at an elevation of 7,730 feet. From there, you’ll take the cable car up to La Rambleta, which is 11,665 feet above sea level. Then, it’s only about 650 feet to the top, so you’ll walk the Telesforo Bravo path to the end.
The nice thing about booking this Tenerife excursion is that you won’t have to worry about getting the permit to access the summit since it’s included in your tour booking. You’ll also have the advantage of being accompanied by a guide, who will explain all kinds of interesting facts about Teide National Park, a declared UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Highlights: Bus transportation, cable car ticket, and permit to access the summit with a guide
- Duration: 5 hours approx.
- Price from: €128
- Departs from: Puerto de la Cruz
- Description: This tour departs from Puerto de la Cruz and reaches the base of the cable car station in Teide National, where you’ll enjoy a 10-minute ride to La Rambleta. From there, you’ll hike to the top. This tour includes a hiking guide and your permit to access the summit.
This is one of the most comprehensive tours of Mount Teide, but if you’re interested in looking at other Mount Teide day trips, check out our guide. For example, this excursion includes bus transportation from Tenerife North and your cable car ticket, but not the permit to reach the summit. There is also this one, which includes the same things but departs from Tenerife South.
Honestly, if you just want to do the cable car trip and you have a car, you can do it on your own. Our guide on how to climb Teide has all the information you need.
2. Dolphin and whale-watching, the best tour in Tenerife
Without a doubt, a Tenerife dolphin trip is one of the coolest experiences and something we always try to do whenever we visit the island. You can see up to 21 different species of cetaceans here, with the dolphins and pilot whales being the easiest to spot.
Even if you can rent your own boat in Tenerife with a skipper, there are lots of whale and dolphin-watching tours in Tenerife, but I recommend the tour we took. It departs from Puerto Colón in Costa Adeje and travels 2-2.5 miles to search for dolphins and whales. Best of all, this Tenerife boat trip takes place on a catamaran with a clear bottom, so you can see the cetaceans under the water.
The day we took this tour, we were lucky to see many species, including quite a few pilot whales. However, you should keep in mind that no two whale excursions in Tenerife are alike, as these are wild animals that live in total freedom. Even so, the tour operators have many years of experience, so they can predict the whales’ and dolphins’ movements with excellent accuracy.
- Highlights: Dolphin and whale watching
- Duration: 2 hours approx.
- Price from: €27
- Departs from: Puerto Colón, Costa Adeje
- Description: Catamaran tour with a panoramic glass bottom to see dolphins and whales in the wild.
3. Submarine trip, a favorite tour in Tenerife for families and kids
A submarine trip is one of the most unique day trips from Tenerife that you can take. We have a complete guide on submarine tours in Tenerife, but I’ll tell you now that this dive is one of the best options.
You’ll board the Sub Fun Cinco, a bright yellow submarine with panoramic windows that will allow you to discover the Amarilla Marina area, one of the least explored regions in southern Tenerife. During the ride, keep your eyes peeled for flute fish, octopi, barracudas, parrot fish, manta rays, and other sea creatures.
Of course, this south Tenerife excursion includes a knowledgeable guide who will share curious facts and history about the marine life and the sub’s technical specifications. So, if you’re looking for a Tenerife sightseeing tour that’s out of this world, give this one a go.
- Highlights: Submarine ride around the Amarilla Marina area of southern Tenerife with a guide
- Duration: 50 min approx.
- Price from: €57
- Departs from: Marina San Miguel, San Miguel de Abona
- Description: Take a trip in a submarine with panoramic windows to discover the seabed of the Amarilla Marina area.
4. Anaga Rural Park, an unforgettable day trip in Tenerife
Anaga Rural Park is one of the most beautiful places on the island, so it makes sense that it has some of the best tours in Tenerife. There are several ways to explore this magical place, so I recommend checking out all the options before deciding on one.
First, you can book this tour, which includes a guided walk through the Bosque de los Enigmas, one of the most popular trails in the park. It’s led by an expert guide who will share curious tales and facts about the forest.
To do this excursion in Anaga, Tenerife, you’ll need a car to get to the meeting point (either Ermita de la Cruz del Carmen or San Cristóbal de La Laguna), from where you’ll board a bus. It may be a small inconvenience, but it’s a good option if you have a tight budget, as it’s one of the cheapest trips in Tenerife.
Another option is this excursion, which I recommend for people who don’t have a car or don’t want to deal with the bus. It includes transportation from San Cristóbal de La Laguna to Anaga Rural Park, where you’ll walk among the enchanted laurel forests. This tour also includes a guide and a delicious aperitif.
5. Masca Gorge, a guided tour in Tenerife for hiking enthusiasts
The Masca Gorge is in Teno Rural Park and forms one of the most stunning landscapes on the island. In fact, it’s one of the most-visited places in Tenerife, after Mount Teide. One of the best ways to explore this striking area is by taking a guided excursion like this one.
The tour begins in the Plaza de Masca, where you’ll meet your group and begin the 6.2-mile walk. During the hike, you’ll descend the gorge, following the Masca stream to the beach. Then, you’ll make the ascent back up the ravine.
The route is quite challenging, so I only recommend this Tenerife excursion for people who are in good physical shape and have hiking experience. Of course, if you tackle this route, you’ll be rewarded with some of the most impressive views on the island, so it’s well worth the effort.
- Highlights: Guided hike through the Masca Ravine
- Duration: 6-7 hours approx.
- Price from: €35
- Departs from: Plaza de Masca, in Masca
- Description: Descend the Masca Gorge and visit Masca Beach, then make the ascent up the ravine. Includes hiking guide and permit.
6. Snorkeling with turtles, a breathtaking excursion in Tenerife
Another boat trip in Tenerife that you’ll enjoy is a snorkeling excursion. This way, you can witness the rich diversity of the seabed and maybe even dive among the sea turtles.
I recommend this tour in particular, which involves kayaking out to the sea. Since you’ll be in a kayak and not a motorized boat, you’ll be able to get closer to the turtles, dolphins, and other marine life without disturbing them. In fact, your chances of spotting dolphins are very high since up to five different species can be found in these waters.
I consider this to be one of the best excursions in southern Tenerife, as nothing is quite as incredible as seeing these beautiful creatures up close. This tour also includes some time to go snorkeling among the sea turtles and fish, so it’s one of those activities in Tenerife South that you’ll never forget.
This excursion begins in Los Cristianos and includes all the necessary equipment and guided instruction that you’ll need. So, don’t hesitate to book your spot!
- Highlights: Kayak tour to see dolphins and a snorkeling session with sea turtles
- Duration: 3 hours
- Price from: €30
- Departs from: Los Cristianos
- Description: Take a kayak excursion to see dolphins and enjoy a snorkeling session with the sea turtles and other marine species. Includes all the necessary equipment and guided instruction.
7. Star-gazing from Mount Teide, the best nighttime tour in Tenerife
The wondrous peaks of Mount Teide are a declared Starlight Reserve, meaning this natural area is protected in an effort to preserve its nighttime visibility. This also means it’s one of the best places to go star-gazing, photograph the Milky Way, and enjoy a night excursion in Tenerife.
If that sounds good to you, I recommend this tour, which will allow you to witness one of the most gorgeous sunsets on the island, followed by the starry night sky. You’ll be accompanied by an expert guide who will show you how to use telescopes to spot shooting stars, nebulae, star clusters, and some planets. If the conditions are just right, you can even see the Andromeda galaxy.
Without a doubt, this is one of the best excursions on Mount Teide, especially if you’re interested in night photography. Plus, this Tenerife tour gives you the option to include round-trip transportation and dinner.
- Highlights: Teide National Park at night
- Duration: 3-6 hours
- Price from: €35
- Departs from: Tenerife South (several locations)
- Description: Take a night tour through Teide National Park to observe the starry sky with a telescope. Includes the option for round-trip transportation and dinner.
8. Kayaking at Punta de Teno, a cheap Tenerife day trip
If you’re looking for an inexpensive day tour in Tenerife, consider a kayaking excursion at Punta de Teno, where you’ll be able to experience the majesty of the Los Gigantes Cliffs.
This excursion departs from Punta del Teno, the northwesternmost enclave of Tenerife located in Teno Rural Park. It’s a popular excursion in Tenerife, especially since traveling in a kayak allows you to get up close to the imposing cliffs of Los Gigantes.
Don’t worry if you don’t have any kayaking experience, as the tour includes a tutorial in which you’ll learn different paddling techniques and safety measures. Throughout the tour, guides will be nearby to keep watch and provide insights about the area’s flora and fauna.
This Tenerife tour also includes a brief stop at a bay so you can take a rest or enjoy a dip in the sea. Overall, I highly recommend this excursion if you want to get to know Los Gigantes from a different perspective.
- Highlights: Kayak tour in Punta del Teno
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Price from: €30
- Departs from: Punta del Teno
- Description: Paddle your kayak through Punta del Teno and contemplate the cliffs of Los Gigantes from the sea. The excursion includes all the necessary equipment, as well as guides and drinks.
9. La Gomera, one of the best excursions from Tenerife to another Canary Island
Touring other Canary Islands from Tenerife is another great option, especially if you’ll be here for a few days. One of the islands you can easily visit from Tenerife is La Gomera. While it may be smaller than other islands in the Canary archipelago, it also has a peaceful atmosphere and well-maintained natural spaces.
One of the best ways to explore different parts of La Gomera is by booking this excursion from southern Tenerife. It goes to several points of interest, including Garajonay National Park, Roque de Agando, and San Sebastián de La Gomera. If you’re staying in northern Tenerife, you can take this tour, which goes to the same attractions, but in reverse order. For even more options, check out our guide on taking the ferry from Tenerife to La Gomera.
Both of the tours I mentioned use the ferry, and your tickets are included in the price of the tour. Hands down, it’s one of the best options if you’re looking for a day trip in Tenerife that goes to one of the most beautiful Canary Islands.
10. La Palma, a fun boat trip in Tenerife
Another one of the best excursions in Tenerife goes to another island, specifically La Palma. This is considered one of the most gorgeous islands, as well as one of the quietest since it isn’t crowded with tourists.
You can take a boat trip from Tenerife to La Palma like this one. It departs from Los Cristianos and heads towards La Palma’s capital of Santa Cruz de La Palma. This city boasts a charming historic center, so you can start there and get to know the island.
During the tour, you’ll learn about the eruption of the Tajogaite Volcano, also known as Cumbre Vieja, as well as enjoy magnificent views from the La Concepción viewpoint, the highest part of the Caldera Volcano. You’ll also visit other famous places in La Palma, such as the Time Tunnel and the Tajuya viewpoint.
This excursion also includes lunch in Tazacorte, where you can try some typical Canarian dishes. As you can see, this is a very comprehensive day tour from Tenerife, so I know you’ll love it. If you want more information, I suggest reading our guide on taking the ferry from Tenerife to La Palma.
- Highlights: Santa Cruz de La Palma, Tajogaite Volcano, La Concepción viewpoint, Tajuya viewpoint, and the Time Tunnel
- Duration: 10.5 – 11.5 hours
- Price from: €135
- Departs from: Puerto Los Cristianos
- Description: This full-day excursion to La Palma from Tenerife travels by ferry and includes several points of interest. Includes round-trip ferry ticket, transfers through the interior of La Palma, guide, and food.
Now that you know the best tours in Tenerife, all that’s left to do is book the one that interests you. There are day trips in Tenerife for all budgets and schedules, so no matter your travel plans, you’ll find a suitable tour that will allow you to get to know the island a bit more.
Also, if you’re not planning to rent a car in Tenerife, I recommend staying in Puerto de la Cruz. There are a good number of excursions from Puerto de la Cruz, so you’ll be able to explore the island without having to drive.
Finally, if you have any questions or you’d like to share your experience taking one of these Tenerife excursions, leave me a comment below. I’d be happy to hear from you!
Enjoy visiting Tenerife!