If you’re thinking of taking an excursion from Tenerife to see some of the main attractions on the island, you’ll see that there are many popular activities and day trips to choose from!
In this guide, you’ll find the best tours in Tenerife, including the typical tours to see whales and dolphins, and those that visit Mount Teide. You’ll also find day tours in Tenerife that go to other islands on the Canary archipelago. There are even free tours to explore specific areas of Tenerife, like this free tour of San Cristobal de La Laguna or this one in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
In a nutshell, these are the 10 best excursions around Tenerife:
- Teide Volcano tour
- Dolphin and whale watching
- Hiking in the Anaga Forest
- Hiking in the Masca Gorge
- Snorkeling with turtles
- La Laguna, Taganana, and Las Teresitas
- Los Gigantes, La Orotava, and Candelaria
- Day trip to La Palma
- Day trip to La Gomera
- Day trip to El Hierro
While I’m sharing several tours around Tenerife, you can also take a look at our guide on things to do in Tenerife in case you’d rather visit some places on your own.
1. El Teide, a Tenerife tour for adventurous travelers
The most complete tour in Tenerife is this excursion to Mount Teide, which includes a cable car ride and a guided walk to the summit.
You’ll arrive by bus to Teide National Park, which is already 7,730 ft above sea level. From there, you’ll board a cable car and take a 10-minute ride to La Rambleta, which is 11,660 ft above sea level. Your journey ends at the summit of the volcano, which is nearly 12,190 ft above sea level. To get there, you’ll follow a guide along the Telesforo Bravo path. Without a doubt, it’s one of the best excursions in Tenerife thanks to its volcanic landscape, stunning views, and exciting experience.
If you book this tour, you won’t have to worry about getting the permit you need to access the summit since it’s already included in this day trip.
You can take a look at our guide on the best Mount Teide tours if you want to check other options.
- Highlights: Bus ride, cable car, access to the summit of Mount Teide
- Duration: ~5 hours
- Price from: $97
- Departure: North and South Tenerife (check here)
- Description: This tour departs from different points in north and south Tenerife. You’ll arrive at the base of the volcano, where you’ll take a 10-minute cable car ride to La Rambleta. From there, you’ll do a guided hike to the summit.
2. Whale and dolphin watching, the best excursions from Tenerife
Doing a dolphin and whale-watching tour is definitely one of the best excursions from Tenerife. On this island, you can find up to 21 different species of cetaceans, although dolphins are one of the easiest to see.
Moreover, there are lots of whale-watching tours in Tenerife, and we opted for this one. It starts in Costa Adeje, specifically in Puerto Colón, south of Tenerife, and travels up to 2.5 miles in search of dolphins and whales.
We loved the tour we did, and during our trip, we were lucky to see many pilot whales and dolphins. Of course, you must keep in mind that no two whale-watching tours in Tenerife are alike, especially considering that these are wild animals. That said, the tour operators have years of experience in this activity, so they’re quite good at predicting the cetaceans’ movements.
Our tour also included a stop at one of the nearby beaches to snorkel. Overall, it was one of the most complete and entertaining Tenerife excursions we did!
- Highlights: Dolphin and whale watching, snorkeling
- Duration: ~3 hours
- Price from: $48
- Departure: Puerto Colón, Costa Adeje
- Description: Take a catamaran tour in Tenerife to see dolphins and whales, then stop at a nearby beach to go snorkeling.
3. The Anaga forest, an interesting day trip from Tenerife
Visiting the Anaga Mountains is another activity to do in Tenerife, since this forest is one of the most beautiful places to visit on the island.
If you want to explore this area, you have several options, such as this tour, which is ideal if you’re already in San Cristobal de La Laguna or you have a vehicle to get there. It’s also one of the cheapest excursions in Tenerife and includes a guided walk through the Anaga forest, also known as the Enchanted Forest.
In case you’re traveling without a vehicle, you can take this excursion, which starts in Santa Cruz de Tenerife and includes transportation to the forest. The tour also includes a guided walk, as well as water and sandwiches.
Either of these two guided tours in Tenerife is worth taking, as you’ll get to see the famous laurel forests of Anaga, which was declared a Biosphere Reserve.
4. Masca Gorge, one of the best guided tours in Tenerife
The Masca Gorge is in the Teno Rural Park and creates one of the most magnificent landscapes in Tenerife. In fact, it’s one of the most visited places on the island, after Mount Teide. So, if you want to explore this intriguing area, I recommend this excursion.
The tour departs from Santiago del Teide, but the walk begins in the village of Masca. However, before you begin your route, you’ll stop at the Visitor Center to learn more about this place. The walking path is about 6 miles long and follows the course of the Masca stream to the beach that bears the same name. I can assure you that it’s one of the best tours in Tenerife!
- Highlights: Visitor Center, hiking through the Masca Gorge, and a stop at Masca Beach
- Duration: ~7-8 hours
- Price from: $64
- Departure: Santiago del Teide
- Description: Travel from Santiago del Teide to the village of Masca, where you’ll stop at the Visitor Center. Then, begin your walk along the stream and end at Masca Beach. This guided tour includes water and snacks.
5. Snorkel with turtles, the most amazing tour in Tenerife
Snorkeling in Tenerife is an incredible experience thanks to the phenomenal seabed off the island’s coast. You can even dive among the sea turtles, and if you want to enjoy this Tenerife activity, I recommend this tour.
If you do this tour, you’ll take a kayak in Tenerife out into the sea, so you don’t frighten the turtles. Moreover, you’ll have a good chance of seeing dolphins as well since five different species inhabit these waters. During this kayaking excursion, you’ll make a stop to snorkel and see the turtles and fish beneath the water’s surface.
This Tenerife tour begins in Los Cristianos and includes all the necessary kayaking and snorkeling equipment.
- Highlights: Kayak tour to see dolphins, snorkeling with turtles
- Duration: ~2.5 hours
- Price from: $42
- Departure: Los Cristianos
- Description: Ride in a kayak to see dolphins and sea turtles. The tour includes some time to snorkel, and the guides and equipment are included in the excursion.
6. La Laguna, Taganana and Las Teresitas, a perfect tour to see Tenerife
If you want to do the best day tour in Tenerife to see the most iconic sites on the island, I recommend this excursion. It’ll take you through the towns of San Cristóbal de La Laguna and Taganana, as well as the popular beach of Las Teresitas.
San Cristóbal de La Laguna is one of the few Spanish cities declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. During this tour, you’ll get to see the most famous buildings and monuments throughout the city.
Taganana is located in the Macizo de Anaga mountain range, which makes it an exceptionally beautiful town. Plus, it’s very close to Las Teresitas Beach, which is considered one of the best beaches in Tenerife.
If you’re looking for a northern Tenerife excursion, this is one of the best, especially if you’d like to see some of the most important towns.
- Highlights: San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Taganana, and Las Teresitas Beach
- Duration: ~8 hours
- Price from: $34
- Departure: Southern Tenerife (El Médano, Callao-El Paraíso, Ten Bel, Los Gigantes, Golf del Sur, La Caleta, Las Américas, Los Cristianos, and Chayofa)
- Description: Take an excursion to some of the main towns in northern Tenerife, San Cristóbal de La Laguna, and Taganana. The tour includes transfers, guides, and a stop at Las Teresitas Beach.
7. Los Gigantes, La Orotava, and Candelaria, another exciting tour in Tenerife
Tenerife has both beautiful natural spaces and interesting locations. If you want to discover some of these places in one Tenerife tour, I suggest booking this day trip, through Los Gigantes, La Orotava, and Candelaria.
The excursion begins with a stop at the Los Gigantes cliffs, which are basalt rock walls that rise along the Atlantic Ocean. Surely, it’s one of the must-sees during your time on the island, and they’re so impressive that the Guanches, Tenerife’s indigenous people, called them the ‘devil’s wall’.
During this tour, you’ll also stop at Icod de los Vinos in the northern part of the island, where you can see the Ancient Dragon Tree. The 72-ft tree, which is said to be a thousand years old, is considered a National Monument by locals.
You’ll also pass through La Orotava, a lovely town with one of Tenerife’s most spectacular historic centers. The day ends with a visit to the coast, specifically Candelaria, which is home to one of the most important religious buildings in the Canaries, the Basilica of Candelaria. It’s dedicated to the Virgin of Candelaria, who is the patron saint of the Canary Islands. As you can see, this complete day trip in Tenerife is a must-do if you want to see it all!
- Highlights: Los Gigantes, La Orotava, and Candelaria
- Duration: ~8 hours
- Price from: $35
- Departure: Southern Tenerife (El Médano, Ten Bel, Golf del Sur, La Caleta, Las Américas, Chayofa, Los Cristianos, Callao-El Paraíso, and Los Gigantes)
- Description: Tour some of the main places of interest in Tenerife, such as the cliffs of Los Gigantes, Icod de los Vinos, La Orotava, and Candelaria. The excursion includes transfers and guides.
8. La Gomera, one of the best excursions from Tenerife to other islands
Taking an excursion from Tenerife to other islands is an excellent idea, especially if you’re going to be traveling for several days. One of the islands you can visit is La Gomera which, despite being one of the smallest Canary Islands is one of the most tranquil and naturally beautiful.
To experience all the things to do in La Gomera, you can book this tour that starts in southern Tenerife and goes through many of its main places of interest, such as Garajonay National Park, Roque de Agando, and San Sebastián de La Gomera, among others. If you’re staying in the north, you can take this excursion, which visits the same places but starts at a different point.
To get to La Gomera, you’ll have to take the ferry, and tickets are included in the price of the tour. I promise that these day trips from Tenerife are worth it, especially for travelers who want to experience the most popular Canary Islands.
9. La Palma, one of the most popular boat trips from Tenerife
Visiting La Palma is another excursion from Tenerife that’s worth the time and money. La Palma is considered one of the most stunning islands in the Canary archipelago, and since it’s not too crowded with tourists, it’s a peaceful place to go.
The best tour from Tenerife to La Palma is this one, which departs from Los Cristianos towards Santa Cruz de La Palma, the island’s capital. This city has a wonderful historic center, so it’s a good introduction to this lovely Canary Island.
The tour includes a visit to the Los Tilos forest, one of the most appreciated natural places on La Palma where you can see the popular laurel forest. You can also visit San Andrés, Charco Azul, and the Virgen de las Nieves sanctuary, some of La Palma’s main attractions. You’ll even visit a distillery where you can taste the island’s signature rum. Without a doubt, it’s one of the day trips from Tenerife if you want to experience the best things to do in La Palma!
- Highlights: Santa Cruz de La Palma, Los Tilos forest, San Andrés, Charco Azul, Virgen de las Nieves sanctuary, and a distillery visit
- Duration: ~12 hours
- Price from: $160
- Departure: Puerto Los Cristianos
- Description: Take a day tour from Tenerife to La Palma by ferry and see some of its main points of interest. The tour includes round-trip ferry tickets, transfers through the interior of La Palma, guides, and food.
10. El Hierro, another one of the best day trips from Tenerife
Last but not least, visiting El Hierro is another of the best excursions from Tenerife. El Hierro is the westernmost island in the Canary archipelago, and the island was a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
Of all the options for a day excursion from Tenerife to El Hierro, I recommend this one, which visits the island’s main attractions. Your first stop is the Isora viewpoint, where you’ll get striking views of the iconic Roque de La Bonanza. You’ll also see the Jinama viewpoint, which overlooks the impressive valleys and cliffs of the island, and the La Peña viewpoint, which was built by Canarian architect César Manrique.
Other stops on the tour include the natural pools of La Maceta and symbolic buildings like the Calendaria Church. It’s one of the top tours from Tenerife, so if you want to take it, I recommend checking out our guide on things to do in El Hierro first.
- Highlights: Isora, Jinama, and La Peña viewpoints, La Bonanza rock, La Maceta natural pools, and historic buildings
- Duration: ~13 hours
- Price from: $137
- Departure: Puerto Los Cristianos
- Description: Full-day tour from Tenerife to El Hierro by ferry to see some of its main points of interest. The tour includes round-trip ferry tickets, transfers through the interior of El Hierro, guides, and a buffet lunch.
Now you know the best excursions from Tenerife, so you can find a tour that suits your schedule, budget, and interests. I’m sure that whichever Tenerife day trip you choose, you’ll enjoy exploring the island and other important sites around the Canaries.
If you have any questions about these Tenerife tours, leave me a comment below and I’ll be happy to help. Have a safe trip!